Breastfeeding pain...

I have been EBF my son since birth. He is now 6 months old and all of a sudden I am having a little bit of pain on my right nipple when he nurses. Its more of like an irritating feeling like my nipple is raw, but its not. He doesn't have any teeth and his latch isn't different. He only nurses every 3-4 hours too. What could it be?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It happens when they're ready to start teething.. It's almost like ants are biting your nipple or something.. it's them grinding their gums on your teeth and you just can't see them doing it!

Nipple cream and I unlatch and relatch my son sometimes that helps.. sometimes it doesn't.. he doesn't mean to do it and he quits once the tooth is through. :)

You may find your baby starts pinching or biting with gums soon, too. If so just unlatch, wait a second, and relatch. They quit doing it once the tooth is through. They're in pain. Poor babies.
    Anonymous

• Could be a minor abrasion you can't see. Use nipple cream.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I noticed that with my kids when they were getting ready to start teething. I agree with the nipple cream. And lucky you, get to also prepare for teething :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2010