Working women have lower divorce rates.

A report from the Pew Research Center released a study saying that women who work and are financially independent are less likely to divorce! "Today, the statistics show that typically, the more economic independence and education a woman gains, the more likely she is to stay married. And in states where fewer wives have paid jobs, divorce rates tend to be higher."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/fashion/24marriage.html?ref=style

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have found that being a SAHM causes less strife in my own because we don't argue about responsibilities. i don't get mad at him for not helping me with dishes because i know thats my job. I didn't read the article..and maybe I will :)...but part of that may be that one income households typically have less income. People get divorced when they have financial strife so that could be part of the problem. Divorce is certainly sad either way.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:55 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I would think living off a single income could cause financial stress, especially if the husband's job is not high paying. I also think that no matter how much men say they want their wife to stay home they see so many other families where the wife is contributing financially that they may subconsciously resent their own spouse or feel more stressed because the entire financial burden of the family rests on them. Society also directly or indirectly compares working and SAH parents and often puts less value on the SAH parent. A SAHM may suffer stress because she doesn't feel appreciated or maybe feels "less than" because her contribution to the family is not financial. I think when a wife works it is easier for her to feel equal and confident in the relationship, and she may be better able to relate to her husband's work issues. I would think SAHM's who have more education and prior work experience also have an easier time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Women with full-time jobs and full-time families are too tired to get divorced. Honestly, there were times I wanted to leave my husband but just couldn't gather enough energy or find the time. We worked through most of our problems and have been married 15 years. My work probably saved our marriage.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 11:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I'm a working mom, although, I work from home with the kids, I did used to go to the office a few days a week...but my initial thought is that I'm surprised. I would think that independent women would be more likely to leave if the marriage goes sour, whereas SAHMs are more stuck... but maybe its that more working mom's are more educated, therefore, they make better partner choices and also marry later in life? Just a guess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• and just to add, I'm not saying ALL working moms are more educated, just maybe enough to make those numbers go up, I know there are plenty of very educated SAHM's, that wasn't meant to be a dig, before someone jumps on it, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I think that's most likely because a lot of SAHMs don't have access to money, aren't financially secure on their own. I am a SAHM and have a very large bank account which my mom started when I was young simply because she never wanted me to be in a position where I had to depend on anyone for my finances. Thanks to her, I'll be a millionaire by 40. I have the same plans in the works for my kids so particularly my daughter will have her "safety net" should she ever need it. (although I hope she will choose a partner wisely - she does not/will not know about the money until she is at least 18)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Its sad but most couples first priority if money, not commitment or love or family but money. The moment money goes down or financial problems change so does love and commitment towards each other. Thats a very scary and sad way to live. I SAH with our kids and my husband is perfectly find with our arrangements. Money wasn't a part of our vows its just something we need to survive and get by but we know without it we would still have each other and be alright. I'm happy to have that kind of husband because many men put value on money instead of their own relationships.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• *is money
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2010