After finding out your pregnant, when should you call to make your first appointment?

Should you wait a couple weeks, or month? Or call right away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As soon as you pee on a stick lol. They are going to want to see you right away to do a pregnancy verification, put you on pre-natals and move you from a gyn patient to an ob patient.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I would call right away. If they don't want to see you until 8 weeks they will tell you and make you an appointment for then, but if you wait until 8 weeks to call you may not get in until 12 weeks or later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• 8-10 weeks was when i was seen
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• call right away. Many doctors offices will have you come in to verify the pregnancy before scheduling your first appointment. It can take a few weeks to get into a busy office too.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Asap. I was so excited I didn't want to wait and I wanted to know everything looked ok in the ultrasound.
    texasmamaof3

Answer by texasmamaof3 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant and I have an appointment at 6 weeks(2.5 weeks away) to get an u/s because of a previous miscarriage. However, the doctors office did say that they normally don't see women until 8-10 weeks along.
    radiofreejenn

Answer by radiofreejenn at 11:43 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My dr.'s office doesnt "verify" beyond taking your word for it & scheduling an appointment for about 8 to 10 weeks & THEN they give you a pee test to make sure. They dont bother having you come in just to check to "make sure" unless you have had previous problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• The older you are, the sooner. If you are over 35, call right away. There is testing they can do up to 13 weeks to help determine if the baby is ok. It's a blood test with an ultrasound and it cannot be done after 13 weeks.
    Anonymous

• CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Are you planning to interview several OBs-Midwives? If you are going to look for someone, you might like to start setting up interviews soon, as soon as possible. Then after choosing someone, you can work it out for when to schedule the prenatal appointments.

If you already have a provider picked out, call them now to see when they will want you to come in.

**It can take a while to get in, so calling sooner will help you to get in and in the appointment book.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2010