What can I do?

O.K. My sister and I had boys at the same time. Mine came first. We use the same pediatrician. He says the my boy is too small but when he says this, he's comparing him to my nephew (who is only 13 days younger). The only reason that irritates me is that my sister is about 6 inches taller than me so I don't think that he should be comparing our kids and telling me mine is too small. My son is coming up on 8 months and weighs 14 pounds and is about 28 inches long while my sister's son is about 17 pounds and 32 inches long. That being said, I have begun to introduce more foods into his diet but I can only get him to take about 3-4 bites each time before he starts spitting it back out and pinching his mouth closed. Is there something I can do to coax him into eating more? I am still breastfeeding him so he always gets enough (I think) but, as I said, the doctor says he's too small. What can I do to help him eat?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 11:15 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, you are right, each child is different and shouldn't be comapred like that. Second, if you want to assist with weight gain, I suggest less solids and more breast milk, as BM contains more calories per ounce then solid foods. It sounds like your son is on the right track with solids, eating just a bit here and there. The question is, are YOU concerned? Remember to nurse before solids, every time. Is your sister BF or FF your nephew? If you BF, and she FF, there IS going to be a gain difference in the kids, as BF and FF babies gain differently.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• First of all your childs doctor needs to NOT compare your child and your nephew. 2nd of all your child is healthy and growing just fine and you know that for yourself and that is all that matters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• As long as your baby is gaining a little weight - not losing it - meeting milestones, and is generally happy and healthy acting ? There is not a problem. Atleast 5 diapers per day (or less if the diapers are VERY heavy . .you can count VERY heavy dips as 2) is the thing to watch as far as baby getting enough BM at this age!

The solution is not to push more solids. This actually is the opposite of what you should be doing. A baby that gains a little slowly will not benefit from the empty calories of veges and fruits. Think about it. If you get stuffed full of a salad, how are you going to eat your piece of chicken, drink your milk, and eat your 1/2 a potato? Think of solids at this age as the salad and breastmilk as the main, nutritional course. Always breastfeed before solids, and do not push the solids too hard. A few bites is fine. Solids are practice before 1.
    Perhaps you could offer the breast more often.
    Anonymous

• And join breastfeeding moms! They give good advice about weight gain / solids / BF / doctors who are annoying. :)
    Anonymous

• doctors put soo much focus on fattening babies, and then they have to put the kids on diets when they are 10! just feed your child a healthy diet, and don't worry about the dr. unless you suspect his mental development is not right, or even degressing.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• **sigh** I hate peds who do this to moms. More solids won't help. And if your baby is puting on a pouind a month he's gaining FINE.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2010