A gay Christian perspective, should those scriptures be studied more?

http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian

Asked by older at 11:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • "shoving it down your throat.Then why persist to carry on.You must like that shoving. "

why did women persist to continue to carry on for equal rights? Or people of color? FOR EQUAL RIGHTS! There is a difference between persisting to fight for rights and persisting to deny people rights. At the very least... if I can make one person change their mind about these rights... I've done a decent job. If people continue to think it is a sin (regardless that scholars argue the meanings of these passages).. I really can't change that.. however, I can try to change the fact that they use it against someone when they continue to ignore other sins that are just as equal. I can fight against opinions based on religion on this civil rights issue.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I don't understand the question, but I will say this: The circumstances of your birth does not make anyone a sinner. I have a child who most likely will be gay, He was born that way, There is nothing I could have done to prevent it, so I can assume God made him that way. I will NOT refuse to love and support my child, no matter what my or any church says. He trumps Church pronouncements.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Anon, in order to understand the question, you must first read the entire lengthy article. But good for you, you have the makings of a great parent!

Answer by older at 11:28 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I do think those scriptures should be studied more closely, absolutely. Before you say an entire group of people (that make up at least TEN PERCENT of any given population) are evil and cause massive problems for them you should be sure what your scriptures ACTUALLY say about it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• When you read the article you will find that the author actually assumes a lot. That the Bible changes over time to suit the needs of man. The New Testament does change a lot of things but that is the end of the changes. By her reasoning the 10 commandments are no longer relavent to us. We covet what our neighbors have and look at the mess we're in because of it. Honor thy father & mother don't have that anymore so it must not be relavent either. Thou shall not steal. How many of us take things home from work that don't belong to us? Thou shall not kill. Enough said there. Just because times change does not mean that God does. Where the Bible stops so should we.

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Bacon, I do not know if you read the whole thing, but if you did you wouldn't have come to your conclusions, she is making note of the specific scriptures condeming the gay lifestyle, she did not touch on the ten commandments at all.

Answer by older at 12:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• God didn't make people gay, they are born that way, but that doesn't mean that's how God intended it. Babies are born with all kinds of defects and problems and sometimes they don't even survive at all. Gad didn't do this. This happens because Satin is on the earth along with sin and we are born into sin. God wanted a perfect world, and created one but because of the first sin, we are all born sinners. We don't become sinners. Because of this we have to learn to live with the circumstances we are born with. Someone born with down syndrome has to learn to overcome their downfalls as well as someone born into any other circumstance. The Bible talks about all the other sexual sins in the new testament, not just the old.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 12:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Krista, get with it, this is not any kind of defect!!! Satan has nothing to do with a loving relationship. You need to do some educating on the subject, comparing it to birth defect and illness is outrageously wrong and innacurate! This not by my standards but by medical standards.

Answer by older at 12:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Well I'm sorry we don't agree but that is my belief on the matter.I do know what I'm talking about and have studied it thoroughly. I do think they are born that way and have no problems with it. I do believe however that it isn't what God intended though and living that lifestyle doesn't please God. Sorry we don't agree...

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 12:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• older, it's not a medical issue, because as I have already stated, I do believe that that is the way they are born and cannot just stop being gay.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 12:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2010