Does your kid sleep through the night?

Mine is 16 months old and no matter what I do he will not sleep through the night. I have tried everything. books, sleep association, full tummy, white noise....the list is endless. finally I gave up and I let him cry when he wakes around 3am and then go get him around 5-6 am when I can't take it anymore. He has been crying himself back to sleep this way for 4+months. My other son started sleeping through at 7months. Do any of you have a child that just doesn't sleep through the night?

MissV_66

Asked by MissV_66 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Every since my 2 yr old hurt her thumb and could not use that as a comfort. She wakes up cring 2 to 3 times a night. I will go in and rub her back and she is out within a couple of mins and then off to bed I go. We have been doing that for a couple of months. I tryed everything else. All she needs is me to come in an rub her back a bit. I will do it because if she needs me. then I want her to know I am there for her.

I hope you can find something soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My daughter never ever slept through the night until she was 20 months old and I let her cry it out for a whole week without going in to calm her (for us, it only made it worse and prolonged the crying if I went in). I hated every single minute of it, and I still can't sleep when my husband gets out of bed in the morning without her :(

The ONLY thing that worked for us was a strict bedtime routine and leaving her to cry in her bed. The first time it took probably 45 minutes, and it got less and less. Now she stops crying before I even close the door and puts herself back to sleep when she wakes up at night.

I wish you luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• No - all 4 of mine were sleeping 12 hours by 6 months and have never stopped (except my oldest who has autism - he went through a "spell" between 2 and 3 where he would wake).
    So it sounds like your son is crying from 3 until 5 or 6? Does he put himself to sleep at night - is he able to self soothe?

Answer by missanc at 11:28 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My daughter started sleeping through the night in her own bed in her own room when she turned 2 and has been great ever since..she is now 5. My son, on the other hand, makes it into our room every night. If its after 3am I consider it a successful night, lol. He will be 3 next month.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My sons 11 months, and just started sleeping threw the night within the 2weeks. I make a vary warm/ but not too hot bottle, and turn on our mini tv on in our bedroom, turn on a calming quiet kids movie, and turn off all the lights. He try's to fool around, and talks non-stop, then next thing I know.. he's roled over, and is sleeping. I wait 5-10 minutes, and then move him into his crib. Works every night now.
    I hope things work out for you. Before this, my son woke up twice a night
    ness_033

Answer by ness_033 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My oldest, now 3, didn't sleep thru the night until about 16-18 months. It took some tough love, I babied her so much that I gave her a warm bottle of milk at that age when she woke up crying to put her back to sleep, and sometimes rocked her afterwards til she was fully out. My MIL helped put it to a stop by completely cutting out that bottle cold turkey and letting her CIO. It took about a week for the crying to become less and less, and then I never had problems since. My 14 month old just now started sleeping thru the night, but it has only been a week so it could either be an awesome phase or maybe she really will sleep thru the night here on out. Good luck.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• mine rareley does - and he is 6 1/2
    *sigh
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My 19 mo has been sleeping through the night since she was 6 weeks old and 12 or more hours since she was 12 weeks. For about the last 6 mos she wakes about 1-2 hours after we put her to bed, she just needs hugs and kisses and back to bed she goes.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I tried everything also..then when i had my second baby I put a TV in my daughters room..I dont know why but it helps..I am not SAYING go and put a TV in his room lol..just saying what worked for us..She goes to bed at 930 and sleeps til 9am now..We even tried moving pictures to imitate Tv and music. My one year old has been sleeping all night since she came home from the hospital(some times she wakes up)but she has BEEN great lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Thank you all ladies...I was beginning to think I was alone. He is just a very needy little guy I guess. At least he sleeps till 3am *shruggs*
    MissV_66

Answer by MissV_66 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2010