tips on dealing with a croupy cough?

My son woke up last night crying and very congested. it sounds like he has a croupy cough, you know the one where it sounds like you're a seal, lol. He's playing fine right now and it doesn't seem to be bothering him. We weren't able to get an appointment for today, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me any other things I could do to help my little one not be bothered during the night tonight. I read to use a humidifier and to let him sit in a steamy bathroom for a bit. Do any of you have any other tips I could use? Thanks in advance! 

ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Asked by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 12:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't be afraid to take him outside, no matter the weather. the cold (depending on where you live!) air can help, esp. in the middle of the night when things get bad.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• PS ... I would NOT take "no dr appt available today" for an answer. beg, plead, insist, demand, speak with the charge nurse, whatever it takes. Can get more serious quickly and night time is always worse. He could need a nebulizer treatment to nip it in the bud, perhaps. If you can't switch clinics for the day, consider an urgent care later
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Like the last poster said, don't take no for an answer. My 7 week old was sick and they told me she couldn't be seen until morning, I persisted and asked for someone else on the phone. I got her an appointment that afternoon and that's when we found out she had RSV. She was in the hospital the next day, and they tried to blow me off till the next day.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2010