who should be responsible if your home of business is vandalized?

An Anaheim, CA business owner is being fined for the graffiti carved into her window by local vandals. Graffiti is a growing problem in the community. She has had to repaint her business over out of her pocket on many occasions due to the tagging on the walls, however it would cost a pretty penny to replace the windows with the carved-in tagging, which she simply can't afford. Now the city is fining her for maintaining a public nuisance for allowing graffiti. A city spokesperson said "We do understand that is a lot of money, be we also have to encourage the quick removal of the graffiti because that is the best deterrent to more graffiti."

Who should be responsible for the graffiti? The property owner or the city?

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=7279401

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Depending on who owns the building. If it's hers, then she's responsible for it, inside and out. Sorry, but that's the way it is. I do think that fining her is a bit extreme, just as they have no obligation to fix her property they shouldn't have a right to demand she fix her property.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• The city, of course.

But since it's California, it's azzbackwards.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• If she already doesnt have the money to replace the windows, how the hell do they expect her to have the money after fining her? What geniuses. They have tax dollars to give to illegals for their healthcare, welfare and more, yet they could fix this for her. Way to go America.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• i meant couldnt**
    BEXi

• Its the cost of doing business. I don't think any one should fix it for her.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• She does have the option to purchase insurance.
    Christina2135

• Why would it be the city's responsibility? I'm a little unclear on that. I agree 100% that it is the cost of doing business. She has choices, she just doesn't like them. She can either get insurance, move the business, close the business or pay the fines. I don't see how this is the city's problem AT ALL. I feel badly that she can't afford to replace the windows but...too bad. That's life.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• it's her business, she's responsible. period!

If someone vandalizes my home, I don't expect the city to pay for it. Either my homeowners insurance or out of pocket.
    Anonymous

• It's her problem, but I also don't think the city should add insult to injury by fining her.

Another option might be to have graffiti repair be a job for kids who get caught doing it (community servioce?). They should really be the ones paying for this crime.
    Anonymous