Back pain during labor???

BACK PAIN!!!! I am 39 weeks. This is my 1st. I went to see the Dr. yesterday and she said I am 2cm dilated. Well ever since I left her office I have had the strongest/worst back pain! It wraps all the way around both of my sides and it hurts right above my butt. I really am not sure if this could be the beginning stages of labor since I have never had a baby before. Did anyone else have strong back pain for hours before labor? I don't think I have had any contractions really? Just a slight tightening in my belly. Any info would be great... Thanks!!!!

babyphillips210

Asked by babyphillips210 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That can be normal for:

after getting checked
    the end of pregnancy
    the beginning of labor

Are you having contractions or bleeding?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• For me and hearing from friends, you poop your brains out. You have a burst of energy. I had lots of back pains. I felt I had bricks on my back. Taking lots of showers helped me a lot. You should try. The water will do wonders with the pain. For me my daughter was moving around all the time and it was hard to sleep. I didn't know I was in labor since I was 36 weeks and never received my pep talk. But, for me my mucus plug came out on Saturday and I had some pain and Sunday I had many contractions and took trips to the shower to help with the pain. My daughter arrived Sunday night at 11:15pm. Just remember we are all different. For me and a cousin the labor pain felt like having period cramps.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 12:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• You're probably getting ready. Pack your bag and have it handy. Don't forget toothbrush, hair tie, lip moisturizer, lotion and an extra change of clothes. I think it may be soon for you. good luck

It may take a little longer for delivery with your first but you want to be ready. My first delivery was about 9 hours. If you go very early they may ask you to walk for hours and they will have an iv in you to keep you hydrated. When you feel like you have to go to the bathroom and push that usually means the head is very low and you should have your doctor check right away.

texasmamaof3

Answer by texasmamaof3 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• i did not poop, or get a burst of energy, or have a lot of back pain before labor.

a friend of mine was having back pains like that for about a day i'd say, went in for a regular appointment and they told her she was in labor, and 5 cm dilated.

but i agree with doulala, that it could just be normal late pregnancy stuff, or braxton hicks. if they are coming every 4 minutes for an hour or so, i would go ahead and go to my birth place, assumedly hospital.

do the pains seems to come at regular intervals? like every 10 minutes, or every 4 minutes, or anything like that?
    Anonymous