How do I take the bottle away?

From the begining i messed up with my daughter and sleeping with a bottle insted of a pacifire or nothing. Now she is 1 1/2 and she still has to have her bottle to go to sleep. She doesn't sleep threw the night bacause of it either. I am now expeting my secound and want to get her off the bottle ASAP what can I do.

astamper350

Asked by astamper350 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont know what to tell you, when my DD was 14 months old i just threw away all the bottles and told her that she either drinks from the sippy cup or nothing at all. We said the "babas went bye bye". We had a couple of rough nights but I knew if I gave in and gave her a bottle then i would never have the strength to do it again. For us cold turkey was the way to go.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 12:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I boxed up all my daughters bottles and gave her a sippy cup it took a few weeks but it works. Now she is 22 month and when she asks about her bottles I told her I gave them to the needy babys at the hospital and she liked that idea
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• OH MAN
    I thought my little girl wasn't going to give it up! she was going on 19 months and still wouldn't give up the ba-ba, then 1 night i let her lay on the couch to take a nap & she didn't ask for a ba-ba and fell asleep, i filled up her sippy cup w/ milk and gave it to her when she woke up during the night, she is 21months now and hasn't asked 4 1 since that night, she calls her sippy her ba-ba now but w/e. ur baby will give it up soon, i think a baby being a ba-ba baby is better than a binky
    _mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 12:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Cold turkey. And let her cry it out. It sounds mean, I know, and you will hate it. But it is the only effective way I have found if you are serious.
    Anonymous

• I took my son's away around 1 1/2... I was really nervous because he was attached to it at bedtime... I replaced his bottle with a sippy cup of water (ice water to really seal the deal- let him put the ice cubes in...) I thought it was going to be a huge fiasco- but he could have cared less. I was sooo sick of washing the bottles one day I just put them all away. He barely even noticed (which I could not believe!!)
    Congratulations on your preg!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Try putting water into the bottle rather than milk. And don't give her a sippy cup full of milk at night as that will cause the same problem as a bottle with milk (i.e. can damage the teeth). She may just lose interest in the bottle. You might also try letting her "trade" her bottle for a new "lovey" (i.e. a new stuffed animal, blanket, or whatever else might catch her interested). Otherwise, you're going to need to go cold turkey. Good luck!
    Anonymous