Is 531 a good credit score?

That is my husband's credit score and the guy I have been speaking with at the collection agency to get our one bad credit card squared away says he is 66% paid. Is that good credit? I don't know anything about credit. I myself sure don't have any!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• the higher end of poor. Most creditors are looking for a 620 or above.

750 - 850 Excellent
    660 - 749 Good
    620 - 659 Fair
    350 - 619 Poor

Per- alliance.com (credit and debt solutions)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• no. 720+ is a good credit score.
    Anonymous

• No, that is pretty bad...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Really not good. It's considered poor credit. Lack of credit can keep a score low just as easily as unpaid bills.
    Anonymous

• So, if we get this credit card paid off will the score go up?
    Anonymous

• That is very low. To be considered good it would need to be at least 720, and even to be considerd fair it would need to be well over 600.
    Anonymous

• Pay the credit card bill, that wil help you but don't think your credit score will go up suddenly. You have to have small and very few accounts open in good standing for long periods of time in order to raise your credit score. Doing this will show anyone you are trying to get an account or something with that you are responsible and pay your bills on time. Also when you use your credit cards don't use a lot of it. When you get close to your maximum credit line limit it looks bad on you. So for example if your credit cards limit is 1000, keep your balance under 400. And always pay on time. Message me if you have any questions, I know a lot about credit.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 12:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• According to this website: http://www.oskie.com/what_is_a_beacon_score.htm
    Bad Credit Score Below 599 Below Average Very Bad Below Failing F

Instead of speaking with a collection agency about your husband's credit score, see about getting his own. Don't rely on the collection agency to give you advice. I know most states allow you to obtain 1 free credit report each year, you should search the internet and see if your living in that state, that provides it. This website shows you the 3 copies that will provide the credit report https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp - you just provide your information and put in the credit card information, you will not be charged if you are in that - here is the website regarding the free credit report information
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre34.shtm - best of luck!
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 12:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Yes, if you get the credit card paid off the score will go up, but not right away and it may take a long time before you see it budge. There are also a number of other factors to consider, such as if you have defaulted on any other forms of credit (school loans, car loan, mortgage or even if you are often late with your rent or utilities payments, etc.). You'll also need to look at how much outstanding debt you still have as compared to how much credit you have available; the higher your debt to available credit ratio, the lower your credit score will be.
    Anonymous

• It's not poor, but it's not great. It's in the middle. It's not really good enough to get a mortgage, or any other big loan...but it could be a lot worse. It's fair, I think would be the correct term.
    Anonymous