How do I get him to stop hitting?

My son will be 1 on friday and every time I am holding him he hits me in the face. I tell him no and move his hand away but he still does it. Sometimes he will even cry when I tell him no.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Thats actually good that he cries when you tell him no because it means he realizes you are serious. He's not laughing like its a game. I would continue doing what you are doing, maybe even set him down for a time out (like 30 seconds to a minute) each time he does it. If he gets negative results he will stop doing it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• lean down to their level & say no & explain why-even if you do not think they will understand-they do more than you think. when you say no, don't hit, they understand that, but obeying is another thing. then we remove them from the situation; the person whom they hit & such. this has seemed to work well for that age. it just takes patience on your end because a one year old is smart enough to understand, but not likely to obey a whole lot yet. The same goes with bitting, if they bite you tell them no and remove them from the situation and over time they will learn not to hit and/or bite.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 12:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Keep doing what you are doing and he will eventually outgrow it.
    Anonymous