Military wives and a negative stereotype

I am an Army wife, my husband and I were married before he enlisted in the army. We have a daughter, and it seems like every time we go around town we get stares like we are POS or something. We take care of our daughter, and it seems like lately people have a negative view of military wives, and military personnel in general. I am just wondering why this is, and if you feel negatively, why? I will say this, I am a SAHM and I do not really mingle with the other wives. Partly because it is cold here and I try to keep my daughter indoors as much as possible. Also, because I noticed when at another post, some wives were kinda judgemental and rude. (Just a few I encountered, I have friends who married military and are very nice)
I honestly want to know. Please be respectful, but I would like some other sides of this. Thank yo

Sillybillymel

Asked by Sillybillymel at 12:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am a military wife, and my husband and I were together way before he got in. But I have seen that a lot of the military wives cheat on there husbands.... I dont, I never would! I love him! Thats why I dont really hang out with any of them accept a few of them. We also dont live on base so I dont have to deal with drama... I have never had people look at me bad.. Like someone else said we get smiles and hand shakes and sometimes if we are out eating an old couple will pay for our dinner.... We have had that happen a few times... Im sorry that people are acting that way torwards you! Good Luck! :)
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 12:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I was in the military for 4 years and I met my husband halfway through and we got married and had our first daughter while in. I never got this negative response that you speak of.. If anything we got big smiles while out in town and we often got hand shakes and thank you's for defending our country. While my husband was in uniform and I wasn't we never gor dirty looks.. Maybe looks of sympathy sometimes? But never angry or judgmental.
    Sorry!
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 12:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I was a military wife at one time. I had trouble making friends because the other wives thought me a prude for not wanting to cheat on my husband. My daughter is now a military wife with the same problem. Also, all the men in my husband's shop, including my husband I later found out were cheating on their wives.
    Anonymous

• I personally am not a military wife but I have great respect for all of you who are. I would not be able to handle my husband leaving for more than a day or two. Whoever is saying negative things about you are probably just jealous of the strength you have.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I live in a military town. We get a lot of the younger soldiers and we have a lot of the older ready to retire military not much in between.
    The military are usually the ones that leave rental houses a disaster and have most of the d.u.i.'s.
    As for the military wives, the ones around here have a sense of entitlement. They wear their husbands ranks on their sleeves. Not all of them but quite a bit of them (the wives) party and cause a lot of issues and have issues with staying monogamous.
    Do I automatically judge them? No. I try to keep an open mind.
    A lot of the one's I have encountered have their own little groups. They think because I am not a military wife I have no problems and cannot understand a single thing they go through. Like my life is such a walk in the park.
    Anonymous

• Oh and as far as getting the usual comment, why don't I move if I don't like being in a military town. My family was here long before the base was. They "bought" our farm and had us relocate, not by our choice.
    Anonymous

• The stuff about the wives and the men not being faithful is true too. I don't remember the problem being as bad with the wives as it was with the guys..
    When we were deployed it was like it was an automatic thing to just dismiss your marriage a few days into deployment. It's disturbing. Nobody even really talks about it out loud, or back at homeport. It's one of the biggest reasons my husband and I had to get out!
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 3:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2010