I just bought my 2yo a potty

now what? what do u suggest the first few things i should do? what did u do?

JaydnsMom22

Asked by JaydnsMom22 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Where you start is is he/she ready.

Can he/she undress or dress?
    Can they go for two hours and not wet?
    Can he/she tell you when the go?
    Can they say potty or poopy?
    Are they showing interset in it?

If the child is not ready there will just be frusration and tears. It is best to wait till he/she is showing interest and can do those quetions.
    Anonymous

• Let her get used to it... I bought dd's at 13 mos so she could sit with me when I went and we had parts everywhere for a few months! I didn't start trying to train her until she was 18 mos... she said she had to pee one day at a store and went in the bathroom! However, she wasn't ready at that time because while at home she would act like it wasn't a big deal. Buy panties! Pull ups are like another diaper and that was another reason dd wasn't training at home (she likes to explore the public restrooms... gross, but as long as they figure it out i guess it works). Pull ups are great for going out to the store but absorb so much. What you want is them to feel the pee going down their leg, you want them to know how uncomfortable this is! Yes, lots of accidents in the begining but I also put dd on the potty every half hour to an hour, and 20 mins after drinking anything to avoid these! Next thing, PATIENCE! :) GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Put her in real underwear and start placing her on the potty every 30 minutes. Listen closely for peeing! The first thing is for the child to figure out what it is you want them to do. Then they have to figure out how to control it. I started my daughter at 9 months and she figured out how to control it within a few weeks. She is now 16 months and has JUST started to tell me when she needs to go. YAY! It's a process. If you want it over with quickly, you should probably wait until your child demonstrates a desire to go. Otherwise, you can do it, it just takes more time. I started all my kids early.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• my son is showing signs that his is very intersted in the toilet. he wants to flush it when im on it, watch it go down. he likes to take his diaper off sometimes, likes to wash his hands-although, his speech isnt the greatest. he understands everything, but he cnt actually say everything. so does this mean since he cnt say potty or pee he isnt ready?
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Every time you put him on the potty, just take his hand and tell him, "when you need to go potty you say, 'Potty, mommy' and grab my hand to take me in the bathroom." Hopefully he will start taking your hand when he needs to go and when he can say the work, will start saying potty. If you don't do it that way, just use some other hand signal for him to "tell" you he needs to go.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2010