Friend never had prenatal care, is now suing the hospital because 2 of her kids are ill, advice?

2 of her 4 kids have cerebral palsy. From the time she was pregnant she never went to the doctor at all, for any of them. I and all her friend advised her to get pre-natal care but she insisted things would be fine. Right up until the time she never did and was admitted through the ER to deliver. Now the youngest 2 have been diagnosed with CP and she is talking about consulting attorneys to sue the hospital where she gave birth to all 4 kids. She asked my opinion I said I honestly thought she hadn't done her part to ensure her kids' well- being and it was a bad idea. Now she will not speak to me, she says I am blaming her. She says she is the victim, not the hospital or doctor. I love my friend but feel she is dead wrong. What can or should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Health

• shes dumb. honestly, she just wants money. she should have gotten prenatal care, and even if she did, its still not the hospitals fault. she'll never win. absolutely ridiculous. let her waste her money on the attorney it will teach her right
    Anonymous

• Theres nothing you can do, she can try all she wants, but she DIDNT get prenatal care. Not that the children deserve to be sick, but things could be avoided if you get care like your supposed to. Maybe there is a chance they did something wrong, but thats for her to persue. Dont get overly involved.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I would think if a lawyer took her case, she is going to be out a TON of money. Birth does not cause that kind of a problem, therefore any fault is her's. She will lose. A reputable lawyer probably won't take her case. Hopefully she doesn't pursue suing.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• well, she's going to be screwed because the hospital attorney will pull her medical records and show that she never received prenatal care. UNLESS she can without a doubt prove the hospital did something wrong with the delivery.

and YES! It is her f*ing fault! DUH! Is she stupid?

I'm not trying to be mean, I have a cousin with CP after my aunt hid her pregnancy and didn't get prenatal care.

Some countries now deem not getting prenatal care as negligence and are immediately taking the children away at birth!
    Anonymous

• You did the right thing in being honest with her. I don't know if lack of prenatal care is a cause of CP, but I'm sure she feels guilty deep down for not seeking prenatal care. For now she wants (maybe needs) it to be someone else's fault. Just let her know you are there if she needs you (wouldn't offer to get involved with the legal stuff, but be there if she needs a sitter or someone to talk to); I don't think there is much else you can do. She'll have to come to terms with this on her own. The legal actions may make her feel better even if they get her no where. She may just need to actively be doing something that feels productive.
    Anonymous

• I've been through this issue myself. I am honest with people and they get mad and don't speak to me anymore. You can't do anything. She is wrong and IMO irresponsible!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I'm with this is a stupid question as stated by a PP. She is just money hungry and has no legitimate claim. She is trying to make money by committing freud. It may even be possible that she refused prenatal care in the hopes that she would have a baby with a defect so that she could make money. This is one "friend" I'd let go of. You don't need someone like this in your life. She is dishonest and lacks integrity.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It all really depends on whether the hospital did something negligent or not. I've never heard of CP being blamed on lack of prenatal care so I'm not going to pretend to know how that would factor into the lawsuit. BUT, the bottom line is if the doctor who delivered the babies caused it then lack of prenatal care is not going to cause her to lose the lawsuit on it's own.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I think you have done the right thing in being honest with her. If she won't speak to you, just be patient. You want to be her friend under the best of circumstances, not because you caved to her selfishness.
    Anonymous

• You can't really do anymore at this point. She is set on blaming the hospital for it. Even if she does ever make it to court, I don't think anything will come of it. All the hospital has to say is she never received any prenatal care. She will end up spending all her money on an attorney. Would a legitimate attorney even take a case like this?
    Anonymous