Does it bother you using the generic brand of medicine? I'm on state medical, so all perscriptions are generic, including my birth control, and sometimes i just wonder, does it work as well.

My husband says its the exact same thing, but when i buy medicine for my kids over the counter, i always buy brand name. What about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Pharmacy Technician here-- Generics are exactly the same as brand name medications. The only thing that may be different is the fillers used to make the pills large enough to swallow. The fillers have nothing to do with how well the pill works. If someone says the generic doesn't work as well it is either a) expired or b) in their head. Every single pharmacist I have ever worked with has done their best to stress to people that the only thing you are buying when you buy brand is the name. We always had a hard time convincing elderly people that they didn't need to spend $80 on something they could buy for $10, they were very set in their ways. If a generic is available I will most definately be taking it. I get very aggitated when I have to buy brand because no generic is available. A LOT of times the generics are actually manufactured by the same company as the brand. Save yourself the money, buy generic!!
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 1:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Nope, I don't mind generic at all.
    I buy generic OTC meds, generic foods too.
    higher price doesn't mean better
    Anonymous

• I use generic all the time. It is all we can afford. We use it for ourselves and our kids. I don't believe there is any difference. Plus, you save a TON of money. Children's Tylenol generic is under $2!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My prescriptions are always generic.

I usually buy over the counter name brand for my child but if it's not available I buy the Target brand. Prescriptions are usually generic, too.
    Anonymous

• Yes it does work just as well as brand name. If you read the labels the active ingredients are the same. The only thing that is different between brand and generic is fancy packaging and advertisement that drive the cost up. Some meds do not have a generic brand yet because of patents. They have a contract like agreement so no other company can produce the same drug for say 10 years, that way they can make there money back for research, testing and advertisements. Once that time frame is up, other companies will make the same med for less money.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I go to the Indian hospital in my state and all my scripts are generic. It's free so I can't complain. My bc is also generic and I'm not pregnant yet so it must work. I also buy generic. If you compare the labels on OTC drugs, you'll see they have the same stuff in them, maybe not the same amount but generic works for me.
    Anonymous

• Are you pregnant? haha JK I think generics work just fine.. I request the gyneric form of my son's steroid (for asthma) when he needs it because it's cheaper-- seems to work just as well as the generic.
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Some generics are good, and some are substandard. When my husband was in the military we were often given medicines that were both generic and expired. Ofen, they didn't work.
    Anonymous

• a generic is the same formulation as a "name brand"..its just when a company develops a drug the patent the formula & the name for a specific amount of time...think its 7 to 10 yrs. After the patent expires any company is free to use their formula to produce the exact same drug..they just can't use the "brand" name. For instance "Tylenol" is acetaminophen. But you can buy store brand acetaminophen & its the exact same ingredient, they just aren't allowed to call it "Tylenol".

To anon :15 if the drugs you received were expired that is the pharmacy's fault. You should have reported them. Any drug, brand name or generic is NOT going to work correctly if its expired.
    Anonymous

• Generic is what we use. The active ingredients are the same and that is what works in the medicine. To the poster who said that the generics from the army did not work. First of all from my understanding dispensing expired meds intentionally is illegal. My husband is in the guard and was in the hospital for a while after undergoing emergancy surgery(not war related) for a ruptured pouch on his intestines while in Iraq. He recieved top notch care and his meds were not expired and worked great. The only times that I have found medicines to not work fully is if they sat in my cabinet and expired.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2010