Anti- gov. aide people

All of you people who brag about never having been on Gov. aide and how it is such a waste of tax dollars. What would you do if you suddenly lost half of your income due to no fault of your own? Would you apply for the aide or just suffer through? seriously. It's not like it is an completely irrational possibility. What would you say then? Lets assume for the sake of the question that no second job can be obtained in a timely manner.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I just want to say that my DH lost his job with us having 4 months worth of savings. Enough time for him to find a new job. He did! He found a new job with in a month and a half. It was a t literally half the pay so what did he do? He got a second job. Still not making up for the other 20,000 a year he just lost. So he had 2 job we were still 15,000 a year deficient. I got a raise which still didn't make up the difference. WE are what was considered by the gov as 'living beyond our means' even though our home was well with in our means when we bought it. So what did we do to make that extra 2 and a half months worth of savings last? We went on gov aide! Our kids are on peachcare/well-care and we get wic qualifying for nothing else. It's not much but it's enough to have helped it stretch an extra 4 and a half months with no changes in income. We would be lost with out it. Even with savings.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I would have a big yard sale. =) lol. I'd cut down whatever unnecessary bills I had, like cell phone, cable, internet etc. I'd apply at McDonalds if I had to. Fast food chains, babysit for cash anything but get on welfare...

I'm against aide because the ppl I see on it are ridiculous. They have laptops and internet and cell phones and cable! They eat fast food all the time and buy cigarettes on the cash side of their EBT cards! They get pregnant and just keep having kids. They don't even apply for jobs 'cause they make more sitting at home...

I have yet to see a case in my 30 yrs in this world where the person genuinely needed a little help after being laid off and then they got back on their feet and got off the aide. Every single case I've seen the person has become lazy and accustomed to free money and they take advantage of it. I'm not saying everyone is abusing the system, but a huge majority is.
    Anonymous

• Here we go. Saying one has never having been on PA is not bragging, it is a fact for many of us. I have "suffered through" and barely made ends meet all of my life. I do without what I don't absolutely need. I have not gotten any kind of aid because I was raised to believe if you can talk on a phone and type on a computer and still are able to walk, you can get a job. Period. There is ALWAYS work, you just don't want to have to do it. No one wants to work fast food, or at WalMart or as a housekeeper in a hotel/motel or nursing home but those jobs are there all the time. So get off it. I'm sick of this whiny poor me crap. If you don't like those looks or comments in the grocery store when you're getting free food, get a damn job.
    Anonymous

• The "waste" of tax dollars is in the actual system of our aid. It's the bureaucracy that pockets most of the money before any of it actually gets to the needy...and it's a bit in the system that encourages people to stay out of work so they stay on it longer than they really should.

Before going to the government, I've got several resources I'd go to first. We start by digging into our savings and food storage (I've been here several times). If that ran out, I'd talk to my family (been here once), if that didn't work, I'd talk to my church for help (Almost got this far, but we had enough food in the basement).

Hope that helps
    Anonymous

• There is no "what if" hard time hit. They will. Guaranteed.

A smart person plans for these storms. My parents were poor, we barely got by, but still they managed to get a good food storage together, so no matter what was happening, we never went hungry.
    Anonymous

• What makes you think that people against gov't aide haven't fallen on hard times before? When my ex and I divorced I was a SAHM. No job with a small child and needing an apartment. Did I go on assistance? Nope. I watched by sister's kids for her so she didn't have to put them in daycare and got a part time job (all I could find at the time) for nights and weekends. I had no cable, no computer, I didn't eat out, etc. There are ways to make it work.
    Anonymous

• The people who use it for what it was intended for are not the problem... It's the people who think they are owed something and make a lifestyle choice to live off of it when they are capable of working but keep coming up with one excuse after another....

If I lost my job, and I have been laid off twice due to the job going overseas & the company selling, I would & have collected unemployment, which I pay into while working, tighten the belt, watch what I'm spending, find ways to cut back in all areas, sell things if I needed to and if worse came to worse when there was no other hope and options, yes I would apply for further gov't assistance but Only until I got another job and back on my feet as it was intended to be used.

Anonymous

• I'm sure there are a million scenarios with a lot of assumptions out there. We have a six month savings account. We can drastically cut our standard of living at any time. My husband has a marketable job. I have skills. If my husband suddenly lost his job, we could last at least two years without a lot of stress.

I'm not against PA at all. I just think a lot of people don't plan ahead. I've got friends who suddenly had to go on pa, and they have $30K vans (with huge loans) $30K trucks, huge mortgages on a tiny house (took out 100% loans), no savings, and a bunch of useless "toys." If these people had planned ahead, they might still be on pa, but they wouldn't be destitute.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I would use my savings until my earning went back up - that's what an emergency fund is for! And we don't buy anything on credit, so we don't have a mountain of bills to pay off and could live on credit for a while after our 8 month emergency fund ran out, if we HAD to.
    Anonymous

• I have been on hard times. I was a part time waitress when hubby left me with two children and no child support. I didn't use PA, although I think it's fine to help yourself in a tough moment. That is not what alot of people do which is why we have generational welfare, when people for generations just live off the rest of us.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 5:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2010