15 months old ready for school? What do you think about Montessori method?

My toddler is 15 month old she's very awake and smart, I do not know how to entertain her anymore, she's my first child. She is around grownups all the time. Every time she sees a baby, toddler or child runs so happy and wants to interact with them she does not even want to go back with mommy.
So I decided maybe was time to enter school. I went and look into so many schools and methods until i run into the Montessori school. Any experience about this? Is anyone familiar with Montessori? Any stories to share?

Thanks

Kathia

lexilumom

Asked by lexilumom at 1:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son goes to montessori and he loves it. if you are looking to get her to do interaction with peers, montessori isnt the best choice for that need. montessori is very work based. children at my son's school arent required to share when learning something/ working with a material. it isnt the same as playing nicely. it is all about learning. so if some kid come and demands them to share. they might prevent the learning from progressing. of course they do work in small groups most of the time because they are naturally social... if your goal is socialization to interaction with kids, rather than socialization that school is for learning. i think you would do better with a traditional preschool.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I love the Montesorri method. I wish all schools used it.
    Anonymous

• i think montessori is very cool my son's school does some w/ montessori. i definitely wouldn't put a 15 month in school full time just for the social interaction though. but it would be cool if it was like 10-15 hours per week. of course it's up to you!
    Anonymous

• IMO our kids are in school their whole lives. why not just let them be kids for a while? But have you tried playgroups? It seems that the PP have had good experiences with this schooling method, so if that is what your mind is set on, that is a good choice.
    Anonymous

• Personally, I think 15 months is too young for school. Try finding a playgroup, join a Gymboree class (or equivlant) or connect with other moms for playdates. But realize that kids at this age are at the "parallel" play stage. They'll play near one another and be curious about what others are doing but aren't able to really play together yet. I started my son in school 2 mornings a week at 2 1/2 yrs old. Even that proved to be a bit young.
    Anonymous

• I was a Montessori kid! My siblings went too. We didn't have infant programs where we lived. Children couldn't start until 24 months at our schools.

It's a great education method. We were all very prepared for regular school when we got older. We read early and learned a great deal of self monitoring. Our schools had plenty of time for social interaction. Each school is on a slightly different schedule and some may have more group time/ circle time than others. Speak with the teachers.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I'm a certified teacher. "School" starts at age 5 with kindergarten or at the earliest age 4 with Pre-K.

Any education setting for a kid younger than 4, especially since we're talking about a child here that's not even 2, is not a school but just a daycare. There is nothing that an educational setting can teach a child this young that you cannot do yourself at home. A child this young can benefit from some socializing, but all day 5 days a week is simply too much. Join a mom's group that meets once a week and take your baby out for story time at the local library and this is more than enough interaction for a toddler.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Thanks for all the feed back. Actually my little one goes to Gymboore twice a week on the afternoon.
    Usually during the day we stay at home. So it can get boring sometimes for her. Although I try my best to entretain her she loves to be around kids and is always asking babies, kids? I also wanted to get pregnant again and this another reason to start preparing her for school and not letting her feel that because she is having a little brother or sis she went to school.
    Well thanks to all!! cant wait to have more feedback!
    lexilumom

Answer by lexilumom at 5:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I think you may be rushing things a little. I have a 19 month old who loves to learn (she is in full-time daycare). There are LOADS of things to do with her. Remember, children from birth to 6 LEARN through PLAY. Give her dolls to play with (my DD loves putting a cloth over her doll, and feeding her), find colors around the house. Play with blocks and legos, color, use play-doh, READ READ READ to her, sing songs, do finger plays and chants, dance around to music, practice moving in different ways. Go to your local library- they often have free story times. If it's nice out, take a walk, go to a playground, look at nature, make animal sounds, etc. She needs to play and explore in order for her brain to make connections. Without playing, children are usually behind when they are old enough for school. (I'm a music teacher too, but did my master's thesis on early childhood music)
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 9:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I think you asked the wrong question. You asked if your 15 month old was ready for school, but that isn't what you really wanted to know. It's clear from your response that you ignoring the ladies that are telling you that 15 months is too young for school and even the certified teacher that's telling you anything under 4 years old is just a daycare and not really a school. What you really wanted to ask is just mom's opinions about the Montessori program.

I'm going to go ahead and answer the question you asked and tell you 15 months is too young for school. I think you are wanting to put her in school so things are easier on you, so you can have a 2nd child and not have to deal with them both at home, so you can have free time at home instead of spending it with your child. If she appears bored with you it is because you aren't interacting with her enough. I suspect it's you that's bored with her instead of her with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2010