How do I handle this situation involving kids and booster seats

If you are not the biological parent of a child how much can you say about them not riding in a vehicle safely? They are 7 and 6 and sometimes when they go to their aunt's house, the aunts will put 4 children in the backseat with no one in carseats or booster seats. It happened once and my fiance had talked his exwife and we thought everything was fine. But it happened again. What can I do to help these children stay safe when they are not with us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• tell the school to stop her and ask where the safety seats are. why arent there enough seat belts. legally they cannot let her leave like that and if she doesnt listen there should be a cop waiting at her house. i wouldnt personally get in someone's business because they will hate you for it. let the school do the dirty work.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• ^ sounds like a good idea if you can get the school to cooperate.
    Anonymous

• she doesnt pick them up from school. it is when the kids are already at the grandma's house. like this past Sunday, they went to church. and there were four children 8 and under in the back seat with no one in booster/carseats. it is my fiance's exwife's sisters that are doing this. his exwife has already been made aware that this is happening..but obviously nothing is being done since it happened again...this is the 3rd time.
    Anonymous

• This is a life endangering situation, and I would not allow my children in it. Are they your children, or your step children? You have every right to be involved. If they aren't, sadly, this is called a "choice" that parents make. For some reason, it's okay to endanger the life of your child these days.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• They are neither my children or my step children. They are my fiance's children. So, I can't do anything about it? I was afraid that someone was gonna say that.
    Anonymous

• Maybe it would be worth not dealing with the drama just to buy the aunt a few booster seats. You can get one of those basic ones for around $15.

Get the fiance to give them to the aunt and say "here, this is for when you're driving my kids. It's really nice of you to give them rides, and I don't want you to get a ticket for it."

(see how I slipped in the compliment into that phrasing - that's important, because she'll want to live up to it).

Anonymous

• the aunt had their carseats..it is just they had 4 children that they needed to take with them..not all four would of fit in the car with the proper carseats/booster seats. that is my delimma..obviously their mom isnt gonna put her foot down and my fiance doesnt like drama and doesnt want to piss off his ex wife...so i need to do something for these kids if no one else will. but what can I do?
    Anonymous

• "They are neither my children or my step children. They are my fiance's children. So, I can't do anything about it? I was afraid that someone was gonna say that. "

Well, they're ABOUT to be you step kids, so I think so. However, I would definitely have your husband / fiancee do the talking. Unfortunately. Does he realize what a huge safety issue this is? You just don't have a lot of options, sadly. When people don't care enough to use a seat belt, as with 4 kids for 3 seat belts shows, they aren't going to do much about boosters. I think it's a crying shame.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Granted, there is a huge push on proper care seat safety lately .... but when we were kids, we did this all the time! My best friend and I do it all the time too when we have each others kids. They are still buckled, the middle two kids are equal size and share a seat belt. Its not ideal for every day, but it works in a pinch!
    Anonymous

• A six and seven year old should be FINE without a car seat, for petes sake! I think you will look like a "busy-body" if you bring it up. If they were 2 or 3 years old, it would be a different story. I would let it go!
    Anonymous