How did you choose your sitter?

I have 3 boys, 9, 4, and 3. I would like SO and I to go out every now and then. A quiet dinner or a movie maybe once a month. I would like to find someone to babysit for me so i'm not always asking my mom to watch them. I don't really know anybody in my apt complex so I'm just wondering. Do any of you have a regular babysitter who isn't family and how did you find them? What kinds of questions did you ask them and how much do you pay them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've found several sitters by posting a listing on the job site of the local college and university. I asked them about their experience, what year they were in school, where they were from originally (were they local, ie would they be around on summer and winter breaks), what their degree was in - just basically talked to the ones I was interested in. I posted my email as my point of contact and then phoned the ones I was interested in based on their email (was it professional? respectful? well written? etc)
    I usually pay around $7 for my 2 middle ones who can do pretty much everything for themselves, except cook. If I was paying for all 4 of my kids I would probably pay $10 - although i've never had any ONE person keep all 4 of them at the same time (my oldest has autism, my youngest is 14 months)

Answer by missanc at 3:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• This is terrible, but I waited until my oldest was 14. She babysits for other families, so why not me? Before that, I used my mother as a sitter. But my neighbor found her sitter through the local college that's not far from here. She did the same thing missanc did, she posted on a job board. The gal was really good. I think they paid her $10/hr. My dd is now almost 16 and she get about $8/hr, depending on the kids and the situation.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2010