Facebook Responsible For 20 Percent Of Divorces. Agree or Not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I disagree with the idea that if people are going to cheat, they're going to cheat, regardless of FB, or Myspace, etc. I think that if someone is having difficulty in their life and/or relationship, the internet and these types of sites make it very easy to "connect" with people. It doesn't have to be a physical affair (that opens up a whole new can of worms). If one did not have the internet, the likelihood of them connecting with another person is quite a bit smaller. A person may go on those sites because they're lonely, wanting to chat, and it ends up being either an emotional or emotional and physical affair. Had it not been for the ease of access, it would not have happened. I am not saying it's FB's fault, however, I do not think, in that type of case, that person would have gone out in the "real world" and sought out an affair.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Maybe in the future, but I doubt we are there yet. A lot of us older folks do not use FaceBook.
    Anonymous

• Disagree. Husbands and wives are responsible for divorces. No one is forced to have a Facebook account, send messages, or leave comments. My husband and I both have Facebook accounts, and our marriage is in no way compromised because we act like a MARRIED couple.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Disagree, unless you have something to add to make it seem like facebooks fault, I have to go with untrusting and untrustworthy spouses are the reason behind facebook divorces.
    Anonymous

• Disagree. It sounds like FaceBook is a scapegoat on this one. FaceBook is in not responsible for how these people behave.
    Anonymous

• Disagree. lol.
    I've heard the game wold of Warcraft or W.O.W causes divorces too though!
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 2:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Disagree! People need to take responsibility for their own actions.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 2:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• ALBANY, NY - "I think Facebook has had a very devastating effect on marriages," said marriage counselor Cathy Leonard-Dressler. It's a way to keep in touch with friends, old and new. But now evidence shows Facebook could be hurting our closest real-world relationships. "When people become unhappy in their marriage they become vulnerable and Facebook is an avenue for people to go down the wrong road," said Leonard-Dressler. A new study by the website Divorce Online says one in five divorce papers actually reference the site itself. Leonard-Dressler said Facebook has a way of bring up the past like long lost exes. "It's very tempting when someone from your past tries to contact you, and you're looking for attention or validation," she said. continue

Anonymous

• I'm with Stefanie. People are way too quick to blame their problems on something else, in this case, a computer app.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It's the idiots who LET Facebook hurt their marriages, not Facebook itself.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 2:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2010