do you think naming my child an "ethnic" name would hurt his life chances?

research has shown that it would. that people with names that are perceived to be hispanic or african american, get fewer call backs from the same credentials on job resumes.

my last name "looks" hispanic, although it actually isn't, most people think it is. i really like the name Mateo & it would go well with our last name, but i'm not going to name my child that just because i'm worried it would make things harder for him in life. just because of the sad fact that having an "ethnic" sounding name does change the way you are viewed by others, & in a negative way.

thoughts? has anyone dealt w/ this w/ their name or their child's name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I say go ahead and name your child what you want. Don't let others stupidity keep you from the perfect name. That name is so cute!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Well my last name sounds Hispanic and I am American Indian. The only problem I've come across is people thinking I can't speak english when they see my name before they hear me talk. The last time that happened, I said to the lady "I don't speak spanish." and she still kept speaking to me in spanish! So I repeated myself and she says "Oh." and looks at my name again as if thinking, "but with that last name, you have to speak spanish!"
    Anonymous

• BTW, Mateo is my nephew's name and I LOOOVVEEE it!!!
    Anonymous

• He could get MORE callbacks for jobs that way! Employers have to diversify.... We have a totally incompetent girl that works where I do, and we're convinced she got hired 'cause of her exotic name. Shes from Africa, She barely even qualifies for the job and there were wayyy more qualified ppl applying!!
    Anonymous

• I named my kids white names. My husband is mexican and wanted mexican name, but I told him that thier last name is mexican, and since they are half white and half mexican thier names should be also. I heard the same thing, and thats a small reason why I didn't want to aswell. But times are changing, and maybe by the time your kid is old enough for it to matter...it wont really matter.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 2:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Many of my friends and I share that same concern. When picking our kids' names we made sure they weren't considered typical ethic names b/c we don't want our children to be prejudged when they get older.
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 2:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Have to say my husband has a very hispanic name..and well he's hispanic..anyway...when we were looking for a place to live last yr when we called to look at places & he would leave his full name we rarely got a call back. When i called & just left my first name I always got a call back..I am white & have a really "white" first name. It really sucked because we can well afford any of the places he contacted. So yes names do matter at times. And there is still discrimination based on thinking a certain thing based on name. Its sad really.
    Anonymous

• I honestly believe you should name your child what you want. Mateo is a beautiful name and I've never even heard of it before. If a company discrimminates based on name its not a company I would want to work for anyway. There are plenty of successful men and women with ethnic names all across areas of expertise. What WILL matter is your child's intelligence and all around go getting attitude. I think it says alot more of a parent who will name their child what they feel their child is called to be named than a parent who will just choose a whiter because its the norm. A name is very special and I don't think it should be watered down because of our stupid culture. That goes for any race.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• An old friend of mine used to use her "mexican" maiden name on job applications instead of the "white" married name because she thought it actually got her MORE job interviews. ~ I know a boy named Matteo and his family is hawaiian. I think its a great name, it shows his ethnicity but isnt too difficult to spell or pronounce!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• when naming your child i think things similar to this should be taken into consideration at least. is the name easy to pronounce? does it make sense to spell it the way you are. imagine growing up and constantly having to tell people how to say your name, or write your name. i know indians that have children hers, and try very hard to use names that work well in the states, and in their homeland.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2010