Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 66 year old Mother fell on her face in a drunken stupor. I had to clean her up, clean up the blood, and put her to bed. She needs help. What do I do, how do I proceed?

This has been getting progressively worse. She looks terrible, has isolated herself from friends, smokes 3 packs of cigarettes a day, and drinks at least a large bottle of wine every night. On vacation this past week, visiting my parents, she fell on her face one night in the living room while I checked on the baby. I came back to find blood everywhere, and her staggering around. She even accused me of hitting her. She must have blacked out. I'm not sure my father can effectively handle the situation. He most certainly is the enabler, and can't turn to a friend (it'd ruin his law practice is what I believe he thinks) I have to step in before she really hurts herself, and I can't bear to watch her do this to herself and her family. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? How do you confront a parent and beg them to get your other parent some help?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Health

Answers (3)
  • Are there any other family members or friends of hers that feel this way too? Maybe talk with your father and other family members to make sure you're on the same page. I would then suggest having an intervention with her. Just to let her know that you're all worried about her and that you want her to get help. But make sure she has consequences to pay if she continue this lifestyle (Not being around family while drinking, her health, etc) We had to do something similar with my MIL. During our intervention I told her that she isn't allowed to be around my daughter while she's drinking. So, six years later if she starts to drink at family gatherings, then I pack up my daughter and we leave. No questions asked. It's a tough road, and I still haven't found a way to get her to stop completely, but at least I know that my daughter won't see her during her drunken stupor.
    Good luck!

    Answer by mama2br00ke at 2:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

  • you can offer aa and thigns of that nature - but my expereince with my father is you can't MAKE them do anything. She has to be willing to get the help offered.

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

  • If it is a pattern and is causing dysfuntion Call Adult social services I would

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.