Cutting my baby's nails...

I cut her nail too short & it's bleeding...I feel terrible, this is the first time that's happened!! What can I do? She keeps flailing her arms around, then hitting her thumb & getting upset again...I feel so bad...

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 2:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Awww, I bet you do. Don't beat yourself up about it too much. Happens to the best of us. =) Maybe just a band aid for some cushion and protection?
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 2:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I would go with a band aid for the cut finger, and something that might help make it easier next time. I always trimmed my sons nails when he was asleep. That way he didn't squirm & fight the whole time! Good luck!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I did this to DD when she was small too. I felt HORRIBLE!!! Definitely a bandaid. But I'd choose one of those flexible ones, that way she doesn't scratch herself with the edge of it.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 3:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Band aid. Trim while sleeping or eating next time. I did that the first time I trimmed DD's nails, and she acted like she was dying every time she bumped it. So I bandaged it and put one of those no scratch mitts on her hand until it stopped bleeding. Now I try to trim only if she is occupied or unconscious so she isn't waving her hands around trying to get the clippers.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• my daughter is not much of a napper and never really has been since birth so trimming while sleeping was very rare. What I found that works great is to trim them with their back to your belly. This way the nails are in the same position as you trim your own. It is a more natural feeling this way and less likely to nick them. What also helps with us is to have daddy keep her distracted while I trim them. If he is successful, takes me about 10 seconds to do all 10 fingers.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2010