forgot how much water to drink before Dr. Apt.

Im going in for my 20 week ultrasound on the 22nd and cant remember how much water they ask you to drink before the apt?. Oh and does anyone know why they want us to drink that much and not use the restroom before the apt?

Thanks.

Cannons-Mom

Asked by Cannons-Mom at 2:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• they have you do that to see your uterus better, but that's only in the early weeks. you don't have to drink anything for the 20 week one
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I just had mine done and they didn't say anything about drinking a lot of water, or any at all. And I went twice - last week and this week, they had no problems doing the ultrasound (they couldn't find the stomach the first time, apparently she had just emptied it and they wanted to see it full)

Answer by missanc at 2:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It's 4-8oz cups of water. 8 ounces is equal to one measuring cup. I made the mistake of drinking the large glasses of water and suffered, lol. The reason they want your bladder full is because it pushes your uterus forward into a position that helps them see baby better.

Anonymous

• i read up on this a few weeks ago. it said that the bladder can push the uterus up, and put it in a good position. it also said that it was for early ultrasounds, so i also don't think you would need to do it for a 20 week one =)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• i actually just got my instrustions in the mail this mornign!

they said to drink 36 oz of clear liquid, so nothing w milk, no orange juice or tomato juice.
    it said to start drinking it 90 min before your appt, and finish an hour before your appt.

and on mine it said if you dont do it they will amke you reschedule, so YES you DO have to do it at your 20 week appt, i think its so they can better see the length of your cervix
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Thanks Erika I thought so. I think I'll go check my mail:)..
    Cannons-Mom

Answer by Cannons-Mom at 11:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2010