Getting dog to calm down

I have a collie who is about 2 and 1/2 yrs. old. She is very hiper and we just found out a couple weeks ago that we have baby #2 on the way, due in Oct. and my daughter is 19 months. It would kill me to have to give her up cuz I've had her since she was 9 weeks old, but I'm afraid that dealing with a toddler, newborn and a hyperactive dog is going to be to much for me and I won't be able to give her the attention she wants. Any advice to get her to calm down a notch so I don't have to consider getting her a new home?

angelsweet84

Asked by angelsweet84 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pets

• You might look for a doggie daycare in your area that will help her burn some energy if you are unable to walk her or run her. I have an active dog myself and i run him with my bike everyday (weather permitting) and take him to doggie daycare twice a week.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• A tired dog is a good dog.

What is your yard like? Can she run around wild and chase stuff? Do you have childless friends with dogs who would have her over for play group?

Take her with you for your walks. Since pregnant women need plenty of low impact exercise, make her come along with you. If she is difficult on the leash, try a halti collar or a no-pull chest harness. They are winning tools.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Go throw the ball, stick, toy for her. Take her for a walk, run her on the bike there are plenty of things to do for her!!!!
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2010