Catholic father faces jail for bringing his Jewish-raised daughter to church against her mother's wishes. Watch this report and tell us what you think: Should he be punished?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/18170607

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hopefully the parents will get over themselves and put what is best for the child first. The father is in contempt of court in that he went against the 30 day ruling - whether or not that ruling is fair/correct doesn't really matter in the legal aspect. He could have gone about things in a better way. The mother is going to have to realize that their child's father is Christian and find another way of dealing with that rather than ignoring it and refusing to allow him to expose their child to his faith.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Anonymous

• I just read that and I believe if you have two different types of beliefs your children should be exposed to both sides. But the thing with this father I think is ridiculous. Being sued for exposing his side of faith to his daughter..it wouldn't be an issue if the mother didn't make it an issue.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• He broke the rules of the agreement, it is like any other binding agreement. Does he deserve to be punished? yes, but liniently so.

Answer by older at 3:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• wtf i grew up in a mixed religion household. This is garbage
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Sounds like using a poor child as a pawn in a bitter divorce to me. IMO, the child should be exposed to BOTH religions equally (as well as ALL world religions) and allowed to choose for herself when she comes of age.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Yep. He should be punished. He knew he'd be punished when he did it.
    Anonymous

• He made a vow to God and converted to Judaism. He let his wife believe before they had children that their children would be raised Jewish. This is a big deal to Jewish people and the reason why they ask for a commitment to the religion beforehand. If he was so tied to his faith he never would have made this commitment in the first place. How come he doesn't mention his baptism, communion and his role in his faith and church. I think he is full of sh*t and just want to stick it to his ex...and she's responding in kind.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I can't view videos at work but I'm assuming this is a divorce scenario? Usually these things are spelled out in the divorce decree. For example joint custody (not joint physical custody which is different) means that both parents are to agree on major issues in raising the child, such as education, religion, medical issues, etc and have an equal say. If the mother has sole custody or there is specific wording regarding religion in the decree then he is contempt of court and it is up to the judge to decide whether there should be consequences. I'm guessing the judge would look at how flagrantly he flaunted the order (if he did), if there's a history of ignorning the order, etc. This is a legal issue, not a religious one. All contempt of court activity should be looked at seriously and dealt with on an individual basis.
    Anonymous

• I was waiting for this to be posted.. I read it early this morning...
    I don't think he should have gone against the courts, but on the other hand the courts should not be interfering with family religion.
    If you watched the video he claims that he converted over to her religion for the sake of their marriage and bc of her parents...
    But he kept his beliefs... now that they are separated he would like to raise his dd in his religion ... well I think the child is being used in this really bad divorce and the child should be raised in both or none...
    Also I will admit that the father should not have had her baptized with out talking with the mother first...
    Should he be punished? yes and no... I don't think jail will do it it will only show that the courts (government) can dictate someones religious beliefs... but some sort of disciplinary action should be taken...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2010