House Plants? Please Help me....=/

I just got 3house plants & Im having a big problem w/them they have alot of fruit flies all over them & the flies are all over the house.

Why are there fruit flyies in my house plants? & how do i get rid of them.?

First time w/house plant plz help.

Bless2haveU

Asked by Bless2haveU at 2:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Pesticides/poisons should be used as a last resort; pyrethrin, nicotine, and neem are all organic and *less* unpleasant to deal with. Only try those if the other things I mentioned don't work after a few weeks, or if you can't find them. Maintaining your houseplants so that they do not become a breeding ground for parasites is the best thing you can do. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions- I love plants and such and took a really cool horticulture course in college that taught us how to care for the plants and how to rid them of diseases, parasites, etc.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Hi,
    These are not fruit flies they are fungus gnats. They are quite common on plants that are in a peat based soil.You can do a search for solutions online and get many ways to deal with them but I have found that letting the soil dry out completely before watering again usually helps.
    tattoo21_338

Answer by tattoo21_338 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Dish soap and water: a couple of drops of soap in a spray bottle of water. Spray or wipe leaves regularly to remove any insects directly on the plant. 70% rubbing alcohol or an oil spray are also something you can try. Those will suffocate any insects on the plant. You could have gnats, which live in soil that is too moist and very rich in nutrients for them to feed on. Place a slice of raw potato on the soil in one of your plants. If there are maggots on it after a few hours, they are gnats, not fruit flies. You can stop them from multiplying by putting a 1/4 inch thick layer of sand on top of the soil so the adults cannot burrow to lay their eggs. Biological controls for flies and gnats: "Steinernema feltiae" nematodes for flies, and "Beauveria bassiana" fungus spores for the gnats. You would have to call around to find out if you can get them from a nursery, or if you need to order them online, depends on area.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Forgot to ask- what type of plants do you have?
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Im not really sure of the plan names but one of them has big tick soft leafs & the other 2 look like little palm threes but the leaft are thin. im goin to try the soap & water hope that helps thanks ladys.
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 5:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2010