in the army does it make a difference if you are married ?

my SO is thinking of joining the army.
we arent married, so i'm wondering what kind of a difference it is going to make?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• What kind of a difference like in your relationship being long distance or his pay or something else? Unless you guys have a kid he will receive single pay which is much less than if he had a dependent. The number and length of deployments are not influenced by marital status. GL being a military wife is hard especially if he is enlisted. :)
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• No I mean like health insurance, housing, etc.
    And yes, we have three kiddos together but arent married, yet.
    Anonymous

• It makes all the difference in the world. If you are married, you will have insurance coverage, be allowed to shop tax free at the PX, and be allowed to move with him where ever he gets stationed (and the gov't will pay for your transporation). If you aren't married, you get nothing and if he gets stationed over seas you won't get to go.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I'm not really sure about anything with the military but I do know that if you are not married you can't live on base with him. Sorry I'm really not that big of a help.
    sophiasmommy212

Answer by sophiasmommy212 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Like thriving mom said you have to be married to go with him, to get the benefits and shopping and all that. Also, just incase. My husband is military, and my oldest isnt his and we haven't been able to save the money for a legal adoption. Because of this they will not allow him to insure my son medically. Thats the only real problem we've had. GL...its hard feeling second to the Military
    Anonymous