imaginary friend....

My son will be two in April and lately he has been talking to himself in his room before nap and bed time. Today during lunch he leaned over and offered a bite to well no one really. He kept leaning over and asking "do you want some?" "Bite?" I think he has an imaginary friend but I didn't think children this young had imaginary friends. Is this normal? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes it is normal. He has a great imagination.

Anonymous

• It's common. Have him tell you about his friend. Record the stories. You could get some wildly clever tales from this.

The only worry I would have is if the imaginary friend starts doing naughty things, like breaking things or telling your son to misbehave. Not all kids do this kind of transference with imaginary friends, but some do. You can cross that bridge if you ever come to it.

You may have a future novelist on your hands!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My youngest is now 18 years old and he had imaginary friends from a very young age (around 1 1/2 or so). As he got older he would tell us that they were Angels and now, at 18 he can see that some were Angels and some were spirits of people who had passed on. It sounds crazy but he's really a very level headed young man who doesn't see ghosts at every turn. He just can look back and tell us that he REALLY saw people, they weren't pretend. I do believe that children are more suspectible and can see things that adults cannot. I wouldn't freak out, they are obbviously friendly. You son just may be seeing someone that you cannot.
    Anonymous

• My son was answering for his imaginary friend. This was before he could talk really well, but he was clearly ask and question, then say no, then ask again and say no. This went on for several minutes until he said yes. He has sense outgrown it, but it was really cute.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2010