Water breakingg

Is it possible for a doctor to pop your water at the doctors office to start labor, if your past 40 weeks?

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The will not break your water and then send you home. They only do that in the hospital if necessary.

Anonymous

• it is possible but risky. if you have pre-eclampsia or something like that, it might be something you could try, but i wouldn't otherwise. just let things happen naturally, you don't want your baby's cord to come out first, or to get an infection, or to end up w/ a surgical birth that could have been prevented. those are all things that could happen with artificial rupture of membranes.
    Anonymous

• No, they will only do it if you're already in the hospital, already in labor, and it's not popping on it's own OR they want to get your contractions harder & closer without drugs.
    Anonymous

• http://www.birthingnaturally.net/barp/membranes.html

Should ... amniotomy be performed too early (before active labor), the 24-hour rule will be invoked, and pitocin induction with all its attendant hazards will be required (this particular complication can be avoided if amniotomy is performed only after 5-6 cm dilation is reached).

A further hazard of amniotomy is that without the protective cushion of the amniotic fluid the baby's head is subject to greater pressure during contractions, and the umbilical cord is more likely to become compressed, resulting in oxygen deprivation and consequent respiratory distress. Cord prolapse is also more common after amniotomy . Moreover, unruptured membranes often cushion not only the fetal head but also the mother's perineum, allowing for more gentle stretching and reducing the likelihood of tears.
    _____________
    i wouldn't even do it during labor, but especially not before.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I had it done with my second child. They checked me into the hospital before breaking my water though.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I had it done with my second child. They checked me into the hospital before breaking my water though. I DID NOT have pitocin at all. I was 2 weeks over due. After the water was broken, the rest of labor and delivery progressed naturally.
    Anonymous