Do you think it is "okay" to give young children medicine to get them to sleep WITHOUT a doctor prescribing it?

Saw a similar question like this last night and I cannot believe how many women acted as if it were no big deal and were offended that anyone would suggest it was wrong.
IMO drugging up your kids so they do what you want them to, when you want them to it, is VERY wrong and abusive. Lazy, lazy parenting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree that is is a horrible practice. I think it stems from laziness too. Take a parenting class so you can figure out how to get your kids to bed without drugs! (general You)
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I think it is a one time thing... maybe. Some children with Autism and ADD can have a lot of problems falling asleep or staying asleep and that can take a huge toll on the parents, especially if they have other kids.
    But doing it on a regular basis or an everday thing purely to get them asleep because the parents don't want to deal with them? That is wrong.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 3:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Do you mean just to get them to sleep? I can't even believe someone would want to do this, now if you are talking because they are coughing etc.... and need to rest, I don't see anything wrong with giving toddlers OTC medicine for their age group for a cold, but because you are too busy and need them to sleep? I think it is awful!!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• OP HERE

kimigogo:

Sorry I should have speficied healthy children. Not sick kids who need sleep.

Anonymous

• Nope. I wouldn't drug my children to make them sleep. I have THOUGHT about it, and made jokes about it, but I wouldn't actually do it.
    Anonymous

• I have NEVER done that. I have joked about it, like "Don't make me get the Benadryl!" but I haven't done it. I could understand if a baby maybe had colic or cried nonstop and no amount of comforting helped. But then again that could be a bigger problem that needs to be evaluated by a doctor. and if the parent's hadn't slept in days. But to do it on a regular basis just seems wrong.
    Anonymous

• Anamac is right. My son has HFA and I give him melatonin every night so that he can sleep. With out it he is up until 11 pm talking to himself . If there is a night that he is particularly worn out I will not give it to him.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I only give my kids medicine when they are sick so no, I don't think this is an okay thing to do.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I do not think it is okay. I think it is lazy. CPS would categorize it as neglect. That makes it not okay, to say the very least. For all you PP's who do give your children meds because he has add or autism, or whatever. Why would you not be able to get the okay from your doctor?
    Anonymous

• you should never give a child medicine unless you have the ok from the pediatrician.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 5:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2010