two doctors - who would you listen to?

if a childs father died - at age 24 - of sudden cardiac arrest, and found out he had heart disease he didnt know about..... and every dr you have ever talk to said that it is hereditary in males.... how deep would you check your child for a heart problem? i requested labwork and an ekg be done to check my sons heart - the pediatric cardiologist said it was "abnormal" and recommended another apointment to look into it further, but the Pediatrician says that there is no need to look into it anymore, that the ekg was fine.... what would you do? i think i should just go ahead to the cariologist - it cant hurt anything.... or am i over reacting and i should just listen to the pediatrician and let it go...??? opinions please???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Health

• I'm sorry, but I would have to listen to the pediatric cardiologist over the pediatrician. He's going to know more on the subject.
    Anonymous

• Listen to the cardiologist and your heart! Also consider looking for a new pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• (the pediatrican said the only reason the cardiologist said it was abnormal was because of my sons age...?) but i dont "know" that...
    Anonymous

• I would consult my child doctor. But I would probably wait tell my son was going into his teens before looking into it further. I would probably make sure my son ate a healthy diet, to help prevent the problem.

Answer by louise2 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Keep looking into it. Your child's health is worth it. I have known many, many people (myself included) who were told by one dr "it is no big deal" and then gotten a second opinion and found out they had something seriously wrong. Listen to your own instincts. You have much more invested in your child's health and care much more about your child than any dr ever will.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I think you should listen to the specialist and even second that specialist with one more apointment after the extra testing with a second ped cardio.

There's nothing wrong if the first general ped is right, that's good. You have to be a mom who clarifies serious findings and worrisome findings based on your child's health and family health.

If your general ped is making you feel guilty I think you should find another ped. It's bad when doctors are threatened with a patient understanding to the fullest their health.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It won't hurt anything to keep looking into it.
    Anonymous

• (he is 8, by the way) but his dad already had 90% blockage in his heart and DIED at 24)
    Anonymous

• Ok, I have a little experience here to offer you. My dad was diagnosed with heart disease at the age of 27 (he's 66 today and doing fine on meds). I started having chest pains and a sensation like a tennis ball rattling in my chest at age 22. They did an EKG and found nothing. My dr told me he suspected (from listening to my symptoms) that I either have aetrial fibrilation like my dad or takicardia like my mom. I said, but my EKG was normal. That's when he explained that an EKG would only catch my condition if I had an episode while hooked up to the machine (not very likely). He said the only way to really know for certain what's going on would be a stress test, but since my blood work looks good, he said we'd wait till I'm older and start having cholesterol and BP troubles, etc.

My advice would be to feed your children a super healthy low cholesterol diet...(cont'd)
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• And educate yourself about diet and nutrition. Certain food and supplements are great for the heart some are terrible. Be sure growing up that your kids get good, not just adequate, exercise and do yearly physicals with blood work. When they are preteens have them stress tested.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2010