When did you become an Atheist or Deist? How did you come to it?

"Because most religions offer no valid mechanism by which their core beliefs can be tested and revised, each new generation of believers is condemned to inherit the superstitions and tribal hatreds of its predecessors." Sam Harris

Skepticchick

Asked by Skepticchick at 4:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have never believed in god.  It wasn't until I was an adult that I felt a need to label it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I believe I was born an atheist. But, didn't discover my true inner beliefs until I grew into them, and owned them and myself for what i am.
    I was raised christian, and even though it NEVER sat "right" with me, I didn't feel I had any other choice growing up. Once I reached my early twenties, I completely broke free and began to follow my heart. ANd it always told me that nature and the living world around us is what matters and needs to be treated with love and respect.
    It's ALWAYS been within me; for as long as I can remember.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• from birth, it's the default
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I have always been an atheist, but like the others I never labeled myself as such until later in life. When I was young I always just told people I had no religion, or my own religion, instead of saying I was an atheist.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I was a firm believer thru college, then I became increasingly more agnostic to the ltieral beliefs in my late 20s. I finally gave up my Christian faith in my mid-30s.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I was born that way.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Born one, never have believed in any sort of god construct. Never had any idea there were others of my ilk until I was nearly 19.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2010