Any alcohol in pregnancy? (Hear me out, please)

Being that I'm asking this question alone, I wouldn't be surprised I'm automatically labeled as a "lush" or something, but that is not the case.

When I'm not pregnant, I rarely drink. I'm talking an occasional margarita every 3-4 months and some little girly drink that often as well. But here goes, the reason I'm asking this question is because I get really bad sore throats, and when I do I drink smirinoffs or those B&J little drinks...or Mikes Hard lemonaide. Well, I'm pregnant and woke up today (7 months preg now) with a sore throat. Would it be okay to sip on a smirinoff throughout the day? I'm not talking about slamming a 6pack in 30 min. I'm saying I rarely drink so therefore even the alcohol in smirinoffs or B&J's still are "strong" enough to do the trick of clearing up my throat & has been waht I've used. Wine is out of the question, the smell alone is overwhelming at this point.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Hot tea with honey would be far more soothing and safer. ;)
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 4:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• my personal opinion is that 1 smirnoff would be fine. it's a controversial topic, but what i've read says that 1 drink occasionally, and especially in later pregnancy, is safe.
    Anonymous

• yeah one drink throughout a day won't do any harm, zip
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I would look for other remedies that will likely be as-more helpful and safer.
    But a little tiny bit shouldn't be harmful.
    Maybe you can just gargle, not swallow it.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I have heard that the equivalent of a glass of wine once or twice in later pregnancy is alright. If there is nothing else that helps, it'll probably be just fine.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Gargle salt water twice a day for a couple of days. That's what I do pregnant or not. It will work.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• i would run it by your doctor first. many now say that half a glsaa of wine is ok, but the alcohol in smirnoff's or mikesis different and effcts the body differently.

i asked my doctor if i could have half a mamossa or half a beer instead, and they said no lol.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 7:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2010