my poor little guy

My son is almost 15 months old. We all have had a bit of congestion for the past week or so. Saturday my son stopped wanting to eat, then monday morning he started having diahrea (sp??). He had a temp also monday, but that has gone away. He is still refusing to eat, maybe having a few crackers or cheerios here and there. I changed his diaper 6 times in the past half hour. He has been drinking gatorade starting today. He also coughed all last night, and most of today. Any suggestions on what to do? I want to take him to the doctor but our insurance provider dropped our coverage this month for no reason. It has been fixed but could be 2-3 days before I have a card or insurance number to use.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 4:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• poor poor little one.
    Anonymous

• You can take him to the ER, they don't require insurance.
    Sahminky

Answer by Sahminky at 4:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• poor baby, go to the doctor anyway and explain why you do not have a card yet, I am sure they ill see him anyway, and adjust payment for when you have a number to use. You shouldn't wait for a number or card because he might get worse.

Answer by older at 5:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• They may be able to bill it later?
    But keep him hydrated, that's really the biggest thing and know the signs of dehydration.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• you should not give gatoraide it is too sugary and can make dehydration worse!! for children the best thing is pedialyte (sp). and water. you can try vics vapor rub for babies for the congestion. and a humidifyer in the room. or play a game in the bathroom while all the hot water runs ( make a steam room) to losen some congestion. if he doesnt start improving you will need to take him in............. I would try to get him in anyway........if you call the drs office they might see him if you explain the situation. if not try this and go to the er if it gets worse!! good luck ive been there with the insurance thing!!
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 7:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• call the doctor's office. They should be able to provide advice without checking current status of insurance. Don't use Vicks without the dr's ok. The box advises not using on kids under 2.
    Anonymous

• I feel your pain mama! My son got what sounds like the same thing. We took him to the doc but they just said to keep him hydrated, check his temp and so-on. then he started teething and got diareah again as ususal. then my DH, my DS and I all got the stomach flu. needless to say we went trhough a box of diapers in about a week. I coudln't get my Ds to drink anything but diet Mt.Dew or coke. I don't give my son sodas but after not drinking or eating anything for over 12 hours i caved when he reashed for my can. It also settled his belly and stopped the pukes. Gatorade might make him sicker so I would try pediolite, but I know my son wouldn't drink it. or pediasure.
    But His doc said as long as they are drinking it's ok. If he wants to eat that's a good sign but don't fret if he doesn't. The only thing he ate for a week was slices of American cheese, club crackers and tourtallini. lol

good luck mama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2010