Who else here is going through their "Perimenopause"?

I am in my late 40's and I am starting to have irregular periods but this month I was late a week and then started but I should be finished by now instead it is heavy no globs just a period (sorry TMI)...I did go see my gyno and she suggested me to go on the pill to have my period on a regular basis or I can have surgery (She said the name of this condition I forgot it) where she goes into the uterus wall and burn the walls that will help lighten up my periods.

I am not sure what I want to do?!? I'd hate the fact that I would have to take 2 pills a day two different times (If I take 2 at the same time it will make me throw up) I hate taking pills...Or I can stay the way I am and just deal with this new thing in my life...Ha Ha Ha....I am so undecided what to do...What would you do?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Health

• You don't have to take pills or have surgery. It may be a long time before your periods stop. Doctors told me I was in peri when I was in my 30s and my periods didn't stop until I was 52.

You can take regular birth control pills but there are risks of blood clots. As you get older risks increase. I did that and had pulmonary emboli in both lungs. I lived close to the hospital and my son called 911 so I was lucky to survive. Most people die from one untreated pulmonary emboli within an hour. It didn't even hurt very bad and if my son wasn't there I may not have called 911.

My periods were as bad as labor. If I had it to do over I probably would have had a hyserectomy. If you ever get the chance it is something to consider.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2010