2 year old using bad language

I have a 2 year old that is going around saying "oh sh*t" . I am not one to use foul language of any sort, but his dad does. He some how managed to stop using the F word on his own, it only lasted about a day and a half. We have treated the S word as the same hoping it would go away on its own. It's been about 2 weeks now. We have put him in time out for it. We have let him taste just a drop of soap for saying. We have tried teaching him an alternative such as "OH Crap". Even ignoring it. We never made a big fuss over til it started every day for the last week and a half. We don't mind him saying because he don't know what it means, but its becoming an embarassment for when we go out in public or have fam/friends over. Have you gone through this or have any helpful advice?

JuneWestling

Asked by JuneWestling at 5:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm just curious why your aternative was "Oh Crap" - I mean do you really want your 2 year old saying that??

I'd just keep saying "Oopsie Daisy!!" everytime something happens and hope it catches on after 100,000 times saying it.... not "oh crap".
    Anonymous

• I have a bad habit of saying D*** it when I drop or get hurt. Well my 2 yr old said it too. We have been teaching her that it is a bad word. When I get caught doing it I have to have a time out and hubby talks to me about how it is a bad word. So she sees that it is not ok. I have been getting much better at it but it is hard to stop when you say for many years. She actually know if she hears me say it. Well tell me Mommy needs a time out. She deos not say it anymore.
    Anonymous

• talk to his dad & tell him that the child is copying him & that he needs to stop swearing.. If he is your hubby have him give.50 cents every time he swears.. As for the child.. ignore it pay no attention to him after all he is only trying to like dad..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 5:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Hubby empties his pockets out already each day to give him. Daddy has been very good the past 3 days since I asked him to start watching what he says. Being a family uses the BAD words alot and going to something simple like 'oh crap' is hard work. We have accepted 'oh crap' as our alternative word, because when I am really frustrated thats what I say. I am not one to go around saying "Oopsie Daisy!!". Theres nothing wrong with my alt. word. But we have ignored it and its just getting worse. He will sit in his chair and look over at one of us and say "oh sh*t" like as if he's just saying "Hi hows it goin'
    JuneWestling

Answer by JuneWestling at 5:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Be careful using soap. Since it isn't food giving it to him can be considered child abuse. Try a small amount of pepper instead. It doesn't have to be a lot just enough to help him get a tiny taste.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 5:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Thats what we did with the soap. We put a drop on the outter liner of the bottom lip and he stuck his tongue out and licked it. It did work for the rest of that evening but I couldn't imagine doing it every single time. Pepper to me is a bit extreme, such as like hot sauce. You can't do anything these days with out calling it child abuse.
    JuneWestling

Answer by JuneWestling at 5:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I personally don't want my kids saying oh,crap.. because if they said it in school the teachers would be upset.. it seems he may like the attention your giving him Or he may think the word he is saying is normal.. so don't pay attention ti him if he says it..
    Instead of oh, crap Or oh sh*t why not Oh, darn.. my family says oh fudge Or just walk away when your mad instead of swearing..
    Anonymous

• Hi dad taught him how to swear and now he's going to get punished for it! What's up with that? It's not his behavior that needs changing, it's his dads.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Dad's language has changed the past 3 days since I talked to him about it.
    JuneWestling

Answer by JuneWestling at 5:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I used to say "Oh darn" or "Oh Jiminy Crickets" anything other than Damn or Crap,etc. I never use the "F" word---not even now that my kids are adults. Kids always mimic their parents so you have to be very careful or everyone will know what happens in your home. :-)
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2010