4 month old and eating solids?

ok so my son is 4 months and i just started him on cereal like a month ago and i have now started fruits and veggies and he love them he wants them all the time like he has cereal with diluted juice then he takes his morning nap and i nurse him when he is hungry but on average he eats one big jar of food a day and he is only four months is this too much for his age? he is 17 lbs but the dr said that was just fine because he is breastfeed. but i am just curious about the solids do is sound right or too much? also i start my boys on cereal so early becuase they are big boys and my milk dont do the job and they would take a bottle.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im a big believer in following your baby's cues. so if that is what he is wanting, then i say it is fine... as long as he is still also taking breastmilk and/or formula. my 5 month old weighs 15 lbs and wants nothing to do with solids yet. and my 18 month old started solids at about 6 months.... she was showing the signs that she was ready. so you do what you feel is best. if you, your baby, and doctor are happy, then i say it is fine.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, it is too much and despite what you think, your milk is plenty. Really! Why do you think it isn't? Their size has nothing to do with it. I wouldn't do cereal. It tastes bad and is hard to digest and constipatig. You can give baby's table food. 4 months is too young IMO. I'd wait until the baby can sit up unassisted, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can reach for food. That happens around six months old. All these at the same time indicate gut maturity which means less gas and constipation trouble and better nutient absorbtion. You can skip the jar food...you'd be paying for half water! Real food. less fuss. Even the who recommends this and emphasizes to feed formula/breastmilk first and solids second because food before one is just for fun.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Sorry for the typos. typing one handed. The above is my opinion of course. if nothing else I think you shoukd at lest stop the juice and breastfeed before solids
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• my youngest is 5 months and peds had me starting solids last month. He has taken to them like a thristy man to water. He eats one "jar" a day, sometimes more and around 3 tsp of rice cereal w/ each meal(2x day). He sits for the most part unassisted, lost tongue thrust and reaches for food. I also breastfeed w/ a few formula bottles @sitters(while I am restocking my supply). He seems to be just fine.
    I would just keep an eye on the diapers and make sure that he's not spitting up alot. If he is, then I would think that he is overfed. My little man can eat! He can even over-nurse if I'm not careful. Just follow your baby's cues.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• No thats not too much and as he gets older, you should start feeding him more and more. my son is 8 months old, and he know eats cereal & fruit for breakfast, meat & protein jar for lunch, and cereal & fruit for dinner plus his bottles. growing boys need to eat alot.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• considering my daughter is 20 lbs at 13 months i would say 17 lbs at 4 months is not healthy.. and i wouldn't give my 4 month old solids to begin with... however that does sound like you are feeding him to much.. at 6 months they recommend eating less then that so... good luck
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 6:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Actually, per the American Academy of Pediatrics, ANY solids for a breastfed baby is too much at four months. It's supposed to wait till six months.

But the Rubicon is crossed. Nurse first. Solids after. Whatever he takes is fine but he MUST nurse first all the way to the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• ahh Jan0609 i was not concerned about the weight of my son as i stated in my question his dr. said that was just fine because he is breastfed maybe you are not feeding your daughter enough sorry but i take that offensively maybe you are depriving your daughter because she dont weigh enough and that was not my question thank you!!!
    Anonymous

• qdiamante can i ask why he should be nursed first? i am trying to slow down on the nursing and that is just going to change everything!
    Anonymous

• All health organizations recommend only breastfeeding for the first 6 months. No baby should start solids, including cereal, before 4 months.

You have been feeding your baby too much and your baby weighs way too much. Why would the doctor say it is ok since he is breastfed when you are feeding him food? My three bf sons and my bf grandson weighed 17 pounds at 12 months!

Experts now know that lifelong weight and health problems can start in infancy. Big babies are obese babies and are not healthy! I agree with the person above!!!

I suggest stopping solids and going to all breastfeeding. At 6 months start solids with real foods. No cereal, no jar food, no puffs. Start with a tablespoon of fork mashed banana, sweet potato, or avocado. You can find more info at www.kellymom.com about starting solids.

No juice! The AAP only recommends 4-6 oz max because of wt concerns. Your baby should have none.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2010