2 week old not eating enough?? :(

My 2 1/2 week old little girl is only nursing 5-6 times a day. She has slept through the night for the past 5 nights (6-8 hours at a time). Should I be worried? She was 8pounds 10 ounces at birth, dropped down to 7lbs 10 ounces from being jaundice, and a week later was only up to 8 pounds even. We go back for a weight check tomorrow, but I am just concerned she doesnt seem to be wanting to eat frequently enough throughout the day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Feed on demand and count diapers. That is the only way to ensure she is getting enough. A baby can lose up to 10 percent of birth weight and that is normal.. She should have at least 6-8 wet diapers a day. As far as night, some say to wake a baby, some say don't. I never woke my son. He slept like that at first but about week 3 he was waking up to feed at night. If it worries you, set an alarm and wake the baby to nurse at least once at night but changes are she will start to wake up soon on her own. Hang in there mom :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• If you were given IV fluids during labour and delivery, your baby'sbirth weight is inaccurate by as much as 6-12 oz.

If your baby was drugged during labour, she may still be sleepy, and not getting enough to eat. Even an epidural affects newborns, so if this is the case you do need to offer her the breast while she's asleep --or wake her up far more often (every 90 minutes is about right).

If she's well hydrated (you can't see the bones in her head, she doesn't have dark circles under her eyes or very pale lips, and she does have good skin tone and the inside of her mouth is wet, she's peeing) she may just be sleeping and growing a lot at this point...and her pattern may change tonight or tomorrow. Whatever she's doing today she is unlikely to be doing in three days --this period is unsettled for all babies.

If she isn't spending a couple of periods of time every day in a quiet, alert state, there is a problem.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Wake her up at night. Take her clothes off and have skin to skin contact but don't let her get so warm she gets sleepy. You don't wait for the baby to 'want' to breastfeed you make sure the baby is breastfeeding 8-12 times a day.

Go to www.kellymom.com, a great breastfeeding web site, and read everything you can about weight gain and print things out before you go to the doctor so you know that you are getting the best advice. If the doctor suggests formula ask for a consult with a lactation consultant. If that isn't a possibility then can a La Leche League Leader when you get home. You can go to their website for more info on who to call. You don't have to call your local leader. You can call anyone in your state or even call Leaders from other states.

It can take a month for a baby to recover from one bottle of formula. One bottle nipple or pacifier can cause breastfeeding problems. Get help right away.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Doesn't WANT to eat .. hmm... How do you gauge "want to eat" ? At that point in my sons life he was on my breast 24/7. I couldn't get him off me.. so I can't relate.

I do however know that people miss the signs of hunger in babies this young. It's not just rooting or crying. Hand-sucking, fidgeting, etc. can be signs of hunger.

Are you giving binkies? Don't. Let her suck on --you-- instead.

Is she sleeping too much maybe? My son was -really- alert all the time at that age but a lot of babies are sleepy especially if they were jaundiced. Try to get her nearly naked, you get naked too, put her skin to skin, sing, give her a sponge-bath, etc. to try to wake her to nurse often in the day.

Does she spend SOME time alert during the day, or not? If not that is concerning.

Put her to your breast every 1 - 1.5 hours daytime and every 3 hours at night.

Hopefully her pattern changes soon! :)
    Anonymous

• Update? How is it going mama?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• She will eat when she is hungry.
    IrishMom8

Answer by IrishMom8 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2010