Labor question with second child...

When I had my first son they had to use a vacuum to help get him out because my pelvis is small and he was 8 lbs. My dr wants to induce me this time to make sure we dont have to use the vacuum again. My question is....has any other mom had this problem with the first but not the second or had to use the vacuum with all her pregnancies? Dr didnt say when he was going to induce he just said he wanted to watch how the baby is growing and go from there.

lilmamab07

Asked by lilmamab07 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The doctor told you he 'had' to use the vacuum.

I am small and went to 7 doctors before I found a practice group that would not make me have a C-section. The others all said I couldn't birth a baby, never fit. I had my first baby in a birth center attached to a hospital with a CNM. I was able to move about and squat.

Laying on your back or semi-sitting like in the hospital is the worst way to give birth. A trained midwife (or sometimes doctor) can help you find positions to open up your pelvis so a baby can fit. My son was 7 pounds 6 ounces and fit fine. The doctors said a 6 pounder wouldn't fit. My second baby 8 pounds 6 ounces was born in his bag of water!

Read more about birth positions. Consider a doula. Take childbirth classes. Consider a birth center or homebirth. Consider a CNM.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• They used the vacuum cause he was stuck and so close to being out and couldnt get past my pelvis so my options were use the vacuum and try to get him out or do a C-section and i didnt want to do a C-section so i picked vacuum and he came out just fine. My dr is trying to avoid doing a vacuum this time around and have a better labor process.
    lilmamab07

Answer by lilmamab07 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• OK i kind of agree with gailll. i dont understand why a doctor would intend on doing an induction. that just seems odd. maybe the first time you had to have a vacuum bc you didnt dilate well or something... this may or may not happen with the second. it has nothing to do with your size. i am 5'3 and weigh between 97-101 lbs. i am small. my first was 5'13 and my second was 8lbs. with each baby i went natural (i did do a hospital delivery and was not against an epi.... but i just didnt feel i needed to have one. i waited until at the hospital to make that decision.) both babies i had lying on my back. except with my second, i twisted to my side with one leg on the stirrup and the other in the air... haha. that is how i was comfortable. i had each baby very quickly. so i was lucky. but i dont think youre doctor should say that you need to be induced so you wont have to do vacuum again.
    Anonymous

• i would read a book like ina may's guide. getting induced wouldn't make it less likely that you would need a vacuum, might even make it more likely. if you are free to change positions, lying down on your back is the worst position. honestly i would find a good provider that wouldn't want to induce, and had very low rates of interventions like inductions and vacuum extractions :) ina may's guide has some very helpful information on how the normal birth process goes and how to avoid risky interventions
    Anonymous

• "i dont understand why a doctor would intend on doing an induction."
    Because it is convenient for the doctor.

If a mom wants to have a safer experience, she should avoid UNnecessary interventions ( = unnecessary risks).
    Your doctor is planting seeds of doubt in your mind, lowering your confidence, making it easier to manage something that isn't supposed to be "managed."

Childbirth is really very safe when moms follow their instincts.
    If you lie down you void out so many things you would have had working for you. It even makes the pelvic outlet smaller, closed inward to recline for birth. (But this position is common for the practitioner's convenience, not the mom-baby's safety.)

No matter how big your baby is, if you hire someone who doesn't know how to facilitate Normal Birth, you're probably going to be on your back with unnecessary interventions.
    (Unless you speak up for yourself.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2010