Drop off time at school?

Something needs to be done with the morning traffic at my children's school. It shouldn't be some complicated except for the fact that you have many parents acting as if they own the place and only look out for themselves at drop off time. People parking in the center of the drive and taking the time to walk their kids clear to their classroom, pulling in to fast and not staying in line but zig zagging looking for the best spot, etc. I want to bring this up to the principal but I want to come in with some suggestions, not just a "Hey! Fix this!" For those of you who have schools that have things more organized, please share. :) We have a horse shoe shaped drive in front of the school with a separate parking lot, if that helps with any suggestions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My sisters school has the same issue......
    missjamie100

Answer by missjamie100 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Drop off time starts at 7:30 and ends at 7:50. There is a drop off zone where you pull up in a single file. Then you leave. If you want to walk your kid into school you have to park your car in the appropriate place.

Anonymous

• I have been an educator for over 13 years and have seen the type of problem you are explaining.

I worked at one school where the parents were allowed to walk a child to the classroom and stop and chat with faculty and staff. This is not only a problem for parents who are trying to drop children off and get to work on time, but also creates havoc for teachers who are trying to get the day off to a good start for their students.

Another school required parents to drop children off at the door. After the first week of school parents were not allowed to walk students, including kindergarteners, to class. The drop off area was patrolled by faculty and adults were on duty to see the child from the parking lot to class. We suggested that parents let younger children wear the name tags we sent home in the afternoon into the building in the morning.

I quickly saw how much better the arrangement was at the second school.
    Anonymous

• I'm the original poster. :) To the third poster, it's great that second school had people available to keep an eye out front. Unfortunately this school doesn't. A lot falls on parent volunteers, which, again unfortunately, there are few of. When I go to the principal I'm going to volunteer to do this the first week. It won't be a huge inconvenience because I walk around the campus to pick up trash a couple of mornings a week anyhow. We have a parent that keeps people from entering campus in the afternoon. EVERYONE knows there are no cars allowed to pull up in front of the school after 1:45 to prevent interference with the busses, but go one day without physically blocking the entrance and everyone and their grandma start to pull in. :( So frustrating when no one is looking out for the safety of every child and look to bend the rules for their own convenience.
    Anonymous

• our school, the drop of time starts at 7:50 to 8:00am at the back of the school. there is a teacher or teaching assistant who stands out to help kids out of the car and watch them go to the door. parents are not allowed to leave their car from the line. if a parent wishes to walk a child in, they need to park in the parking lot behind the line. they cannot walk them in up front because that is where all the buses are. After 8:00, I believe the kids must go in the front door and be signed in.

since there is someone there to help kids out of the car from the line, they can sort of monitor parents at drop off time. also, they have sent notes home and e-mails before when they feel that parents are not following the drop off/pick up proceedures. pick up is the same as drop off.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2010