My daughter is almost 5 months old... How much solid foods is ok to eat a day???

I dont know how much is to much to feed her when is comes to soild foods? I am feeding her atleast 3 times a day with that than rest with milk. When she is done with soild foods i do give her milk to watch it down. Is that ok? please help

pennstatemama21

Asked by pennstatemama21 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well to all these other ladies you should not feed solids till six months and that is way too much but in my opinion it sounds just right just go by what they are telling you and go with what they need and good luck on asking that question here!!
    Anonymous

• If she is breastfeeding she shouldn't be eating solids until 6 months. Once a breastfed baby starts solids you should breastfeed first and then give solids.

If the baby is formula fed then 4 months may be ok to start. You still want formula to be the main source of nutrition. If you are giving jar food that is mostly water.

How much you should feed on formula depends on your baby's weight and other factors like the baby's iron levels. You don't want the baby to be overweight.

If you are on WIC you can talk to the nutritionist.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Give the formula first... and only a tablespoon per time you feed her. :) If she refuses to eat after the formula because she is full -- she's not ready for so much solids. If she accepts the solids after the formula then it's fine.. but always do milk first.
    Anonymous

• If you are doing cereal, I wouldn't do cereal. It tastes bad and is hard to digest and constipating. You can give baby's table food. I'd personally wait until the baby can sit up unassisted, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can reach for food. That happens around six months old. All these at the same time indicate gut maturity which means less gas and constipation trouble and better nutrient absorbtion. But since you are already doin it, you can skip the jar food...you'd be paying for half water! Real food. Less fuss. However, don't give milk to wash the food down....feed formula/breastmilk FIRST always and solids second because food before one is just for fun and experience...not nutrition. If you wait a bit you can let the baby feed themselves so they can truly explore.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• So basically nobody even gave you an answer to your question just what their opinions are on the subject!!! My DD is 5 months old, and all that she consumes during the day is formula, and her jar foods. I don't do the cereal thing because really they don't need it. It is basically just for "practice" anyhow. They get all of the iron they need from their formula! I give my daughter 2 jar foods a day. Sometimes it is 3 and sometimes only 1. It all depends on how well she will do with the feeding. If she isn't that into it, then I just wait until the next feeding time for jar foods and offer it again. If your LO is eating it well without fussing then that's great!! Just keep doing what your doing! If she eats, poops, pees, and sleeps fine then you must be doing something right hey!!

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Give her formula or breastmilk FIRST, and then offer her solids. At 5 months she doesn't need any at all, but if you want to give it to her after she's had her full amount of formula then just offer it to her and follow her lead. She should still be getting roughly 30 oz of formula a day.
    Anonymous