I Need help !!!!

i need to know is it safe for a one year old to have fish ( fish sticks ) and what about tea my lil grabed my tea and started drinking out of the cup i took it away but she seems to love it is it safe to give her some every now and then ???

Sweetdarling09

Asked by Sweetdarling09 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes its safe.
    Anonymous

• Tea has caffeine. She could be hard to put to sleep tonight. Tea also has tannins that can be hard on the kidneys. It's not really healthy for anyone. This one time is not going to hurt her, but I wouldn't let her have it again.

Fish can be an allergen in some people. In most people, it's not. Fish sticks can be made from a blend of fish so it's is hard to tell which allergens may be present. If you have no family history of sea food allergies and she isn't breaking out or coughing, then she's fine. If you have any doubts that she is having an allergic reaction to sea food, call your doc right away.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Caffeine is hard for kids under 3 to process through the kidneys. It may have a much greater jolt for longer. It isn't good for the kidneys. That's why it's not good to give little people caffeine.

Fish sticks are probably ok. I don't think they are fit for anyone eating, highly processed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• it depends on the tea.............. regular black tea has more caffine than a cup of coffee.................. some herbal teas are not good for children at all ( wellness teas etc ) and others................ mostly the fruity kind that prego women can drink are just fine. i buy the fruity ones for my kids to use and keep the tension tamers and regular teas for me alone!! this way if they want some it is specialy just for them and they love it! ( it keeps them out of my coffee and sugar filled drinks too!)
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 7:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Fish sticks should be just fine. My son ate fish at that age. you do have to watch some fish that have high mercury content but fish sticks are made of fairly basic fish that shouldn't ahve that issue. (You can probably use Google to find the list of fish with high mecury content.) A little tea now and then won't hurt either. My son loves to sample mine. Just watch that she doesn't grab a cup of hot tea that could result in a burn.
    Anonymous

• White teas and herbal teas are often caffeine free...read the label. Black teas, Green Tea, etc. often have caffeine so while it won't hurt her ...its probably not a great idea if it is caffeinated. As for fish...fish is really good for them! White fish, salmon, cod, etc. she be served at least a couple times a week assuming there is no family history of allergies. Avoid shellfish until closer to 2 though...high allergy.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• thank you so much for your answers i will try the fish and put my cup in a high place so she cant get it !
    Sweetdarling09

Answer by Sweetdarling09 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2010