How to file taxes without a W-2?

My husband's former employer didn't provide W-2s to any of his employees. He told my husband to just file using his last paystub. I have researched this a little bit and it is my understanding that my husband has to contact the IRS for a 4852 form and he has to send a certified letter to the former employer requesting the W-2. Furthermore, I found that without a W-2 you can't e-file and the return can take months.

So, how do you file without a W-2 and can you still e-file?

tinkerbell76

Asked by tinkerbell76 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• UM, I think your DH's employer is BREAKING THE LAW. He HAS to provide a W-2.
    Anonymous

• Hes a lazy basterd I would call department of labor on his butt!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• We know that it is against the law and that the former employers is lazy. However, that is all water under the bridge right now. The IRS will have to deal with him but in the mean time we still have to file taxes.

ALL I NEED TO KNOW IS HOW TO FILE OUR TAXES WITHOUT THE W-2 and CAN WE E-FILE STILL??
    tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• For those that want to know how to file without a W-2 here is what I found out from the IRS:

You have to make every effort possible to obtain an W-2 from the employer. (personal contact and certified letters)
    You have to contact the IRS and file a complaint.
    You have to file a form 4852 (use info from last paystuub) and it can not be files until April 15th.
    You CAN NOT e-file.
    It will take a minimum of 4 months to get a return.
    tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2010