How soon are you allowed to get on birth control after you deliver?

Just a question I had, as I heard you can be pretty fertile the few wks after delivery. Not, that I plan on having sex immediatly, but was wondering if they put you on a birth control before you 4-6 wks of resting and no sex after delivering?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i live in denver colorado and here the next day after you give birth the doctors go in and ask u what kind of birth control do u want. if its depo , or the pill they give it to u that day
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 7:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• They can. There is some b/c that you can use while breast feeding, if you decide to breast feed. If you formula feed, then there is no reason for you to wait to get on b/c. Yes. You can be very very very fertile after having a baby.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 7:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• it's a myth that you are more fertile soon after birth. a lot of women actually aren't fertile at all and don't ovulate for a while. the problem is that you probably won't know if you are fertile, and that's how a lot of women end up pregnant--they think they aren't fertile but they happen to be one of the minority who are!!! you can go on BC as soon as you want, but i didn't want to risk any kind of hormonal BC because it can affect your supply big time.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on the kind of BC you want. I know if you want something like an IUD they will make you wait 6 weeks. I also think you should considering waiting 6 weeks before anything hormonal because your hormones will be all over the place after giving birth as it is...don't wanna do anything to make it worse!
    nessani28

Answer by nessani28 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2010