How would you tell your child that you are seeing someone, when the child has never had to share his/her mother with anyone before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Relationships

• It depends on how old your child is really. I'de keep it simple and say Mommy has a friend. If it's getting serious then you may want to introduce your child to him, but thats also up to you. If you stop seeing him after the child knows him, the child may take the seperation badly.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• At any age, it is important to let your child know that they come first no matter who you are seeing. And stick with it... many times you hear about a parent choosing their boy/girl friend's side over their child. I think that you should be sensitive to your child's needs and always ask them how they feel about the situation too. If you show your child that you are concerned and that you care about their feelings, then they are going to have an easier time adjusting... very good question!
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 10:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Do it as soon as you think this is going somewhere, my husband waited to tell his daughter until I was 9 months pregnant by then we had been together for 2 years and now she wants nothing to do with me him or our daughter.
    Anonymous

• Put it on a level that your child will understand appropriate for his/her age. Children do understand friendships. Tell the child that just like he/she needs age appropriate friends, so does Mommy. Allow the child to know the new friend will by no means replace him/her or mean more to you than the child does but adults need to spend time with adults to discuss things kids find boring! If the child is male there is always that alpha male thing going on. One would hope the adult male would be able to understand that and make the child feel as though he were a comrade and not a rival(fishing together, play videos together, watch the game together).

Answer by admckenzie at 12:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I'd coax the child into it.A little at a time.And give them time to get used to it.Make it nice and pleasant and fun as possible around the fellow.And the adjustment will go well.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2008