Anyone have experience with both open and semi-open adoptions?

In your opinion which is better and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Adoption

• I'm a birthmom. We agreed to a semi-open to start, and depending how everything went over the years, possibly go to fully open - which we did after less than 2 years, due to 9/11 and the a-mom freaking out about not being able to get ahold of me if anything happened. We went through an agency, so when we were semi-open, everything was sent through them - which took a bit more time. With fully open, we can call, e-mail, whatever, when we want/need. But it really depends on your families, maturity of birthmom, etc. You can always start slow, and move your way up if your relationship progresses in a good way - it's better that way than going with an open adoption, and having to close it off because things aren't working out well.
    Anonymous

• NOT IF HIS NAME IS ON THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 2:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• SissyAnn141...What are you talking about?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My sister is the birthmom to a beautiful little girl she gave up for adoption - - it was/is an open adoption. Her adoptive parents are wonderful - my sister gets regular calls and pictures from them, they get together a few times a year, and they even include my husband and I in things (we live several states away, but they are great about keeping in touch). It has been a great experience. My husband and I have been looking into adoption, and would like an open adoption as well.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• When I adopted many years ago we had what was considered a closed adoption due to the children being abused by mom who died shortly after placement with us. Along the way we found out that grandma was a very decent woman who wanted to know her grandchildren and welcomed her into their lives. My daughters are all grown now and have regular contact with her. It's been good for everyone. I do have to admit I'm not sure how we would have done things if bmom was still in the picture.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i allow as much contact as the birth parents want with my children. they have my number and address. i do not instigate contact but they are free to call and set up visits
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 10:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2010