Toddler and infant sharing a bedroom

I have a 23 year old son and 8 month old girl. We have been struggle with sleep arrangement and sleep in general. We got my son his big boy bed and I am thinking of moving my DD crib to his room. The room is huge and it will accommodate both and leave plenty of free space for play. My question is -- when is a good time to move her to his room. He is a deep sleeper and she is not. I am not sure if this is even possible until they get a little older, but i am in desperate need of not sharing our bed and getting at least a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. Please advise.

Thanks a bunch.

ZuMama

Asked by ZuMama at 7:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 23 MONTH you mean? :) My DD is 3.5 and her brother will be born this May. I am going to have him in my room for the first 2 months, and then redecorate the bedroom and have them share.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• :) yes I meant 23 months. Thanks for catching that. I will fix it.
    ZuMama

Answer by ZuMama at 8:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I'd imagine there you will never know until you try, because the way I see it in our current state of affairs, all things concerning sleep are 100% unpredictable! But I'll tell you what we did because our kids are the EXACT same age difference and they share a room. We had a brief period of unemployment and had to move in with my parents for exactly one month. The kids were 11 months and 26 months at the time. My parents only had one room for the two of them, so we had to give it a whirl. Bedtime was a dream... our older girl who always talked herself to sleep continued to do the same, but somehow the little one just sucked her fingers and figured it out (I guess she had been able to hear those sounds even when they were in separate rooms). The trouble was, and continues to be, morning. They take turns having early rising phases, and most of the time, after 5am, if one of them wakes the other does, too. (cont'd)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• (cont'd). But not always. We had a phase where I would go get the little one quickly if she awoke at 5 or 6 am and bring her into our room, nurse her, and then put her to bed in the pack n' play and often the older one would sleep through. Now the more frequent scenario is the older daughter waking up, calling for us, and I can get her out of bed while the little one continues to snooze. But I'm glad we do it. It's nice to have them used to sharing a room from such a young age, and since we rent, we now know we don't need such a big place!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2010