potty training -- where would you go from here

Ok so after my 17 month old pooped 3x on the potty yesterday, (once in her diaper but told me immediately after), peed 3 x in the potty (her diaper never got wet enough through the day for a change), and woke up 100% dry from a 12 hour night of sleep, I decided to put her in underwear today. Please don't respond with "she's too young/not ready" because I've trained a child almost this young who wasn't technically ready and anyway this one actually does show almost all the "readiness" signs... Anyway, my problem is this: after a morning of peeing and pooping in the potty when I took her, her approach to staying dry through the day has been to hold her pee. She actually held it over 6 hours, including a 3 hour nap and beyond! She had 3 wet accidents through the day, that's it, so she's clearly able to hold it for awhile. She had been releasing easily on the potty but now won't. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd went through some thing similar about a month ago. She used her potty all day and stayed dry and i thought this is it shes ready! Well she hasnt done it since. :( so Im curious about what to do too!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 8:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• OP: The funny thing is that she'll still sit happily on the potty and read books, etc, but she won't try to release, even though she's been doing it a ton this week!
    Anonymous

• Gosh, I am just now getting my DS (same age as yours) to sit on the potty and he has only indicated once that he needed to go. I think i could take lessons from you. I have nheard that potty training does involve a lot of regression. GL.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 8:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• my son has been sitting on the potty and going wince he was 10 months old... he is now 14 and stopped going throughout the day but would still go every morning so i waited a couple months and tried it again well it was a success for day time but it seemed like it was just a phase so im gonna hold off another month and try it again til it becomes consistant..
    Anonymous

• Try setting a timer. I did that with my daughter and she was trained in a little less than 2 weeks. Since your kiddo can hold it a while, I'd start at 45 min or an hour. When it beeps, go and sit on the potty. Give it a few minutes, have books, and toys in the bathroom to keep her busy and occupied. If she doesn't go, reset the timer with another 10 minutes or so and try again. When she does go, then go back to the 45 min or an hour, whatever you feel comfortable with.
    I'd also suggest sticking with the underpants. Now that you're there, don't go back... that could send a confusing message! Good luck to you... and dont' let anyone say she's too young. My daughter was only 20 months when we trained her :)
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 8:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Dont forget that potty training is not just about teaching a toddler how and when to use the potty but is mainly about being phyically capable of being trained. Pushing a young child to potty train too young can result in self concept issues if they feel like they're being bad. Be patient and offer lots of praise and wait until they are ready.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 9:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• gee, did you ever hold your pee for a really really long time? it's really hard to start going. you will have to remind her to go on the potty every hour or whenever so she won't be in that situation again.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2010